Possible Haswell iMac Release Date.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NbinHD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

I was just recently looking on the webpage for the Mac Pro on the Apple website when i relized that it will be featuring Thunderbolt 2. Now, it would make sense that Apple would release the new Mac Pro alongside the refreshed iMac and Mac Mini's yer? So the question, when will Thunderbolt 2 becoming out and do you guys think that there is a connection between the two and the release date for the imac/mac mini's? Thanks.

2. Bear macrumors G3

There is no known connection between the release dates of the next Mac Pro, iMac or Mac mini. Only the new Mac Pro is likely to have Thunderbolt 2 this year due to the limited number of parts available from Intel until early next year. I would expect Thunderbolt 2 on Macs (besides the Mac Pro) sometime after April of next year.

At this point we might see a flurry of Mac updates around the release of Mavericks or we may see Mac updates 1 a month. Nobody really knows.

3. Serban Suspended

i think they will make in a keynote, a 30 min time only for mac (imac,mac pro,mac mini and macbook pro). No need for thunderbolt 2 for imac.

4. Bear macrumors G3

At what conference will there be a Keynote speaker from Apple? They might hold a press conference if they release enough stuff at once.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I think the only way this stuff gets mentioned at an Apple press event is if they're releasing a retina iPad mini at the same time. And even then, maybe not. There's nothing sexy about any Mac update this year except the pro, and that already got stage time this year.

6. Bear macrumors G3

You may be right that a press conference for Macs isn't called for unless there's something coming that we don't know about - which could include features in Mavericks that nobody knows about yet.

As for iOS devices I can see a press conference for those for various reasons. Especially if any of the color casing photos for an iPhone model are real.

7. Serban Suspended

there will be a keynote for iphone 5s/5c and ipod touch
    and later there will be another one for the ipad/ipad mini and for the mac

what is so hard to understand

the same like October last year

8. Bear macrumors G3

That wasn't a keynote last October, that was a press conference.

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Last year they rolled out an entirely new iMac design. This year they're changing the spark plugs. This stuff generally gets handled by press release. There's no reason to put it on a stage.

10. Serban Suspended

yes last year imac re design...but what about mac mini?? was redesigned?no
    this year they will announce the redesign mac pro and the updates for mac mini/imac/macbook pro

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I think the mini was on the stage because it was the only way you could get a fusion drive without a 6-12 week wait. They talked about fusion first with the mini, and then went into iMac later, right?

Time will tell, of course, but prior patterns suggest there's no Mac product going on a stage anytime this year.

12. Serban Suspended

i am sure that in 1-2 month they will announce the rest of the mac line up (macbook pro, imac, mac pro, mac mini), probably with 1 month delivery time

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Agreed. Macs had their 2013 stage time at WWDC. This year there isn't even a likely introduction of a new size like last year when the 13" rMBP was released. I highly, highly doubt a 17" rMBP will ever see the light of day :D

The only other Mac than the Mac Pro that could get TB2 would be the rMBP to differentiate it from the consumer iMac, Mac mini, and MB Air. But even that's a big unknown.

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I would've thought apple would stagger the release so the iMac and the Mac Pro don't come out the same day. I think they have to do these things because of supply constraints, tech support, Not overloading the orders system, etc. If so, I think the iMac would come out first. The Mac pro parts will be available later in the year so I think the iMac will come first

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The launch of the Mac Pro might get some stage time as there is still so much they haven't told us about, probably as part of the launch of Mavericks press conference (which might in turn be part of an iOS press conference).

16. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm tying to recall if an OS X version has ever been previewed at a WWDC and got an additional press conference when it was released. Don't think so.

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

They might change that this year, however, since Mavericks is a major release from a feature set angle and in addition to the new Mac Pro and iMac, Apple also has new MacBook Pros (definitely with and perhaps without Retina displays) and (probably) a new Mac Mini coming out. So they could justify a Mac+Mavericks press conference along the lines of October 2010's "Back to the Mac" event.

I just want the new iMac by the end of October as Barclaycard is offering 18 Months Same as Cash through early November. :cool:

18. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Seems like you can get 18mo free financing from Barclay pretty much any time you ask for it. It's always the new member benefit, and existing members have had success getting it even if its not a current advertised promotion. They don't mind doing it because they're guaranteed 3.75% or so of your $2000 purchase, plus the chance you forget to pay it off in time and owe the interest anyway :)

I don't see Mavericks as a big feature release. Feels like an incremental update with iBooks and iTunes radio to me. It's entirely possible they could pull together a Mac press conference, but I think the audience would be bored to tears with all the small, non-revolutionary changes and no big thing to latch onto as the story.