possible headphone error.... you tell me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedommer, Jul 22, 2008.

1. thedommer macrumors regular

Ok so I wear my non-iphone headphones on the bus and when people call I just talk into the phone with the headphones on and it still works fine.

HOWEVER. I noticed that whenever my friend with another iphone calls me from his iphone he cant hear me IF Im using regular headphones. anyone else have this issue?? or care to experiment?

sure its kinda obscure but should happen fairly often if your sitting on the bus listening to music with good headphones and your hip iphone loving friend calls you. Then in order to talk to him you would have to pull the headphones out of the phone. Good thing I only have one friend with n iphone or this would get really annoying.

2. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

3. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

bump

would love to see some other people try this out..

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I would assume this to be a design feature. The phone is told that when it has headphones plugged in, the headphones have a mic on them.
    So the phone is expecting there to be an in-line mic even if you don't have one, so it shuts off the mic at the bottom of the phone.

Kinda like the phone shuts off the external speaker when you plug in headphones

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's not the case. If the iPhone doesn't detect a mic connection on the headphone connector you plugged into the jack, then the mic on the phone itself will stay hot when you're in a call.

6. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you read my message.... I did state that I have been doing this and that the only time it does not work is with my buddies iPhone. I'm hoping someone else can try this out and let me know.

7. agbot macrumors regular

Wearing third-party headphones on my 3G iPhone (Shure), called by another 3G iPhone, and everything worked.

8. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for trying that out! Could you try with both of you using third party headphones? I think we may have both been using headphones. Thanks for your help!

9. agbot macrumors regular

Yup, still works. Have you tried a different pair of third party headphones? Wild guess... maybe yours are making contact with the mic contact in the iPhone jack, confusing the phone making it think you have a mic-enabled headphone set (like the standard iPhone headphones).

10. sdk macrumors newbie

I can shed some light on this issue. :)

I use the newest version of the Sony MDR-V150 wired headphones available at BestBuy with both the 2G (8GB) and the 3G (8GB) iPhones, firmware 2.2, jb, and unlocked.

The mic used to work with incoming calls just fine but recently it stopped working with incoming calls and I have to unplug the headphones to speak to people.

The previous version of the Sony MDR-V150 headphones required the iPhone dongle for the 2G headphone jack.

The newest version of the Sony MDR-V150 headphones available at BestBuy do NOT require the special iPhone dongle for the 2G headphone jack.

This may or may not be related to the mic issue.

Further testing will be conducted and the results posted in this thread.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions appreciated.

:cool: