Possible headphone jack issue with iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Achiever, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I bought a new 5s over the weekend and have noticed an audio issue when playing podcasts over Instacast and Podcast apps or music through the Music app. I first noticed when using it in my car, plugged into the auxiliary jack. Periodically, I would hear a loud hissing/static noise which would last a few seconds each time and be louder than the podcast/music playing. I made sure the wire was fully in both jacks (it was), then assumed it was just an old cable which needed replacing. But, I then tried the 5s on an iHome desktop speaker and had the same issues. Worth noting I don't have any case on the phone, so it isn't a connectivity issue for that reason.

I upgraded from a 4S and plugged that phone back into both of the systems where everything played without issue, so it is something specific to the 5s? Does anyone know if the headphone jack is in any way different in the 5s versus the 4S? I wouldn't think so, but perhaps I missed something and need new equipment. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Anyone want to take a guess at what is going on? I was wondering if there was a hardware issue with the headphone jack. FWIW, it isn't a speaker issue as the audio is fine when the phone is not inputted into another device. Thanks for your help.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No headphone jack issue here. My 5s has been perfect so far.

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Sounds like a headphone jack issue. If you can hear it via headphone and or 3.5mm aux cable but not speaker, that narrows it down. Make an appointment and get it replaced. Be able to show them the sound-bring in iHome, or headphones, etc.

4. Stephanie638291 macrumors newbie

I am having this issue as well. I have no idea why really except that maybe something got into the audio jack in my purse. This hasn't ever happened with any of my other phones though.

5. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I think it's cellular interference. I get a lot of noise in the car with the AUX unless I put it on airplane mode and then you can't access stuff. But every it checks for email it makes all kinds of noise.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you are asking, is this normal? the answer is a resounding NO.

7. Arcade macrumors regular

Arcade

I had this problem but after watching this video I fixed it. Simple fix with qtips & nail polish.

http://youtu.be/mLcncIRe4Qg