Possible i-Pad rival ????

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr Bigs, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Too bad Billy Mays is dead. He would have been perfect to voice over that video. :rolleyes:

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

That thing is hideous. Reminds me of a PC with ports and buttons all over the place.

4. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is actually a quality product that was demoed at CES before the iPad announcement.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

C'mon. The CE industry can't even develop a decent iPod competitor -- 9 years after it came to market. Don't expect an iPad alternative any time soon. Like the iPad or hate it, Apple knows how to go into a room and suck up all the oxygen.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Again this was announced in December and shown at CES in January so it predates the iPad and can't be called an imitator or iPad killer since it came before the iPad.

8. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

One of those things that looks cool at first but once you start thinking about it you realize it is a Frankenstein monster.

It weighs double what an Ipad does, more than double that of a Kindle DX and is big/heavy/awkward to use as a reader.

Heck ditch the e-ink side save massive amount of weight and costs, and sell a 10" tablet for under $300 instead. You don't need e-ink to read.

I will be interested to see how this works out for early adopters.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think had the iPad not be introduced the Entourage may have had a chance, but now it is all but DOA.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL - and you've used one - so you know whether or not it's big/heavy/awkward. Or is this a FOA (fact out of the air) ?

It's ok to love the iPad and still find other technologies cool or interesting. It doesn't mean you love the iPad any less LOL

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That's really hair splitting. It's irrelevant when it was announced - pre or post. It may not officially be an iPad imitator but it still won't be able to compete with Apple or the iPad. It looks cool, and I like the form factor, but reality is Apple owns GUI and device ergonomics. However cool a companies orchestrated video looks the actual product inevitably is a piece of clunk.

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

Because we all know how long companies have been developing the various tablets?

As to the actual device, typical and what most companies will try to pass as a tablet. Netbook Atom CPU w/Windows 7. Slow, hard to read, poor performing laptop. This just has the added bonus of being twice the price of a netbook. Their will be dozens of these show up by the end of 2010, just as the netbook market exploded into anyone with a 10" plastic cast and $5 dollar LCD panel, toss in the status quo (1.6 atom/1gig/160hdd) and call it the latest and greatest. I think right now the only one with a chance is if Dell actually creates an 10" or 12" Android based tablet as they said the Mini 5 was it's entry into it's line of tablets.

13. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

I have seen a number of people complain about the iPad being too heavy, this is double that. I also watched the video. It is bulky and awkward to use as a reader.

I also offered a constructive suggestion. Ditch e-ink half and my criticisms disappear. Extra weight: gone, extra bulk: gone. New ultra competetive pricing gained.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok - so it's fine to criticize other manufacturers for where they might have gone off base and offer suggestions on how to make their product better and have more value EXCEPT for Apple and the iPad? I just want to be clear of what the "rules" are...

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

They quote a weight of 3 lbs on their website so saying that it is double the weight of the iPad is just a plain fact. Whether or not this makes it awkward to use is unknown at this point but we can make a decent educated predication. I find 3 lbs textbooks pretty awkward and heavy to handle so it seems likely that this will be the same.

I actually find the idea of combining an e-ink and LCD screen quite interesting, but the weight is a big problem for me.

16. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

It is fair to criticize Apple/Entourage or any other companies decisions, and it is just as fair to disagree with those opinions.

Internet forums are really just a bunch of people with too much time on their hands shouting their opinions.

In the end we all give(or abstain) the opinion that really counts by putting our money where our mouth is.

That is where you can get the Entourage you defend and I can get an iPad I was defending and everyone is happy. :D

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Where do you get the idea that there are "rules" that people can't criticize Apple/iPad? Plenty of people are doing that around here. Now it's true that plenty of people are also arguing against that criticism, but just because people don't agree with the criticism, doesn't mean they think you shouldn't voice your criticism. Well, at least the reasonable ones wouldn't. But there's been unreasonable people on both sides of the debate.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I think your sarcasm meter needs a reboot :)

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Really? I've reread your post and still am not getting how that would be a sarcastic response to the post you quoted. Oh well, maybe I just need some coffee... :D

20. raremage macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, do you own a Kindle or similar ereader? Because I assure you, it is much easier on the eyes reading on one than on an LED screen. How well the iPad emulates E-ink will be a factor for me in a decision to buy or not.

21. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

lol what a piece of junk. Looks exactly like a AS SEEN ON T.V product...

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Uh... it might allow you to read without eye strain, but it's not going to achieve that by emulating e-ink.

23. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

I don't have any issue reading on LCD (unless outdoors). That is a manufactured issue that doesn't apply to most people. You have to manufacture something like this when your display is monochrome and has a 1 second refresh.

I have spent 15 years working 10 hour days on a CRT, that doesn't cause me any issue, neither do my LCDs at home. As long a brightness and refresh is appropriate most people have no issues with most display types.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Goody for you. I have spent the last 20+ years working on a CRT and I prefer reading on a Kindle than a LCD screen when it comes to text.

Most people? Again - fact out of the air. Why do people insist on making their opinions and their experiences into sweeping generalization about everyone else. Can't you just say YOUR experience is XYZ?

25. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

If an e-ink user says they like it better for reading, do we really need others to come along and tell us we don't really like it better? Wouldn't we know?