Possible iMac Purchase?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Javik, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Javik macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about making a Macintosh desktop purchase within the short to mid term future (roughly 6 months as my cash goes) and I am wondering which desktop offering would be best. I currently have about AUS $1200 dedicated savings specificaly for my next purchase and this may increase to about AUS $1600 ish by years end.

I currently have the late 2010 baseline 13" macbookair and I am really happy with the generaly expirience of the laptop. However, the shortcomings in CPU and RAM power are starting to show, specificaly when running multiple applications at once. For example, when running a 50+ track Logic Pro session my computer can sevelry lag when transfering to other apps and multiasking quickly, ie; HD YT HTML5 vids, gaming,.

Yes, Yes, i know, obviously it is going to lag when i do silly things like this but i am really am looking for a fast, fully capable desktop expirience, coupled with a snappy mobile workstation.

This comes to my dillema.

Which Desktop model to purchase. As explained in my budget, I am really am looking at the lower end iMac 21.5" model and the new (as to be released) Mac Mini offerings. I could buy a cheap monitor, keyboard, mouse/trackpad and if i was really frugal i could just use my really crappy circa 2001 17" monitor + keyboard, but something is pulling me away from the Mac Mini. Yes, drastically cheaper, but putting the aesthetic aspect aside, does the performance differ drastically between baseline Mac Mini and iMac? To my knowledge, the Mac Mini usually uses the innards of the current baseline 13" macbook pro. Does anyone have any knowledge of the differential performance capabilities of the the 13" Macbook Pro and the baseline iMac 21.5". Would it be worth to upgrade from the baseline iMac to the next tier or even the 27" version? I could rake in some extra money, but would it really be worth that?

Thanks all, and hoping someone can help and explain all the possible options with me as I am a little bit of tech newbie! :D

Cheers

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You should repost in 6 months -- too many things will change and any answer given now will be mostly useless later.