Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I'm in the market for an imac G5 and have found several too good to be true deals on Ebay.
Check this out: Ebay Item number 5554882093

I wrote to ask questions, and this is what I get back:

HI
First I want to tell you that my Imac are brand new, unopened box
all accessories included and also an 3 year apple care and international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My price is the best you could get: 700USD(not euro), including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.
As delivery service we use UPS2days air service or overnight (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

THANK YOU​

Is this a scam (shipping from Europe, Western Union Only)???

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Heck yes, it's a scam. NEVER use Western Union. Western Union is a good way to SEND MONEY to someone else, but it is in no way a secure method for transacting actual business (I send you cash, you send me goods).

Stay away from this one.

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Never, ever use Western Union for this kinda deal. Never. No matter how tempting!

andy.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Rule 1: If it sounds even halfway too good to be true, it is.
Rule 2: If they want you to pay with western union, they are asking you for a donation, not a business trasaction.
Rule 3: Half the "deals" for new Apple products (particularly laptops) on eBay are painfully obvious scams that sound exactly like this.

These scams are so common I'm amazed people still even look at them.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
You should alert ebay to this guy, that don't want that crap around either I bet!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
stubeeef said:
You should alert ebay to this guy, that don't want that crap around either I bet!
Link to the auction.

The auction ended not even three hours after it was begun... the seller ended it due to an "error in the listing". Strangely, the auction mentions that the seller prefers to use PayPal, so this might have been legit... still, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
clayjohanson said:
Link to the auction.

The auction ended not even three hours after it was begun... the seller ended it due to an "error in the listing". Strangely, the auction mentions that the seller prefers to use PayPal, so this might have been legit... still, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

I'm sure he prefers to use paypal.. when buying stuff online for himself.. ;)

greenleaf

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2004
Eugene,OR
Yeah man...anytime someone is offering a brandnew item for like 800 dollars off???its a scam.NO one is just trying to lose money and even if they say they get the computers or whatever they are for alot cheaper than retail why wouldnt they try to make the most profit possible???i look at these kinda things and laugh because its almost ridiculous that anyone gets fooled by them...Its terrible if they do but people should think before they act... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.