possible iOS7 bug for data roaming...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Pez555, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

So i never turn data roaming on when travelling abroad, it is always set as off on my iphone 5, yet somehow when returning from Italy recently I noticed my bill had increased and I have been stung with roaming charges (was running beta 3 at the time).

Luckily, i'm on O2 and will only ever be charged maximum £2 a day. The guy on O2 chat has credited my account for the roaming.

Be careful!

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You will still get charged roaming just for using your phone outside your country - data roaming would have charged you up the ass. I don't think this is a bug

3. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

I was in France in April, Spain in June. Didn't get charged a penny when I went to both those countries and used my phone as I did in Italy.

Just saying, I don't think that's true and may be a bug, or something is wrong with my phone.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

In my experience, data roaming doesn't necessarily stop ALL data communication when you are roaming.

For example, if you receive an MMS, it will open the data connection to deliver the MMS. While the MMS is being delivered, you will receive push notifications and such, which will be billed as roaming data. (MMS data isn't usually billed)

The best way to deal with this is to go into settings and turn Cellular Data completely OFF when entering another country. This will stop *ALL* cellular data, yet you can still send/receive text messages and calls.

5. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

Exactly what i did, mobile data and data roaming switched to the off position, which is whats making me think this might be a bug. Weird.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Oh you had both off? This might very well be a bug then, nevermind.

7. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555