Possible Ipad 3 Battery Issue??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by midlandman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. midlandman macrumors newbie

Have been charging my Ipad since last nite and I picked it up to use around a half hour ago, I noticed that the percentage bar was at 99 percent instead of 100 after all those hours of charging! The real problem I noticed is that with in the half hour of use, my battery has dropped to 91 percent after just a 10 min facetime call and a quick look up of local news app.

Could I have a issue with my battery? I'm prob panicking over nothing but I'd like to get a 2nd opinion :)

2. mlg1998 macrumors newbie

Mine's doing the same thing. The battery life is NOT the same as Apple claims. For what it is I'm still impressed with the battery life, I guess I was just spoiled with the iPad 2 battery life. As soon as Best Buy gets another 32g White WiFi in I'm exchanging mine, so hopefully the new will be better. If had a few other issues with it is why I'm exchanging.

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

After almost 2 weeks of use my iPad (3rd gen) has now settled into the same usage times and charge times as my iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPhone all did.

It seems to take a week to 10 days for any device like these to fully use the charging capacity of the battery. I am typing this on my iPad which is at 68% since removing from the charger some 26 hours ago. A couple of days after getting the iPad I would be nowhere near that figure. My usage has not changed at all but the battery now seems 'conditioned' for use.

4. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I was beginning worry a little myself, as mine seems to be doing the same thing. I have yet to let it run all the way down and recharge from 0 so I was thinking of doing that. I do believe it will be fine in time and if it's not, hey I did get Apple care. I'm going to wait and see how it goes after a few more charges. I really haven't been using it that much since I got it.

5. connoisseur macrumors member

6. waynep macrumors 6502

The first few days I had my new iPad, I thought the battery life was no very good. But I used it down to where it shut itself off, then fully charged it. I did that about 3-4 times and now it seem to be what Apple indicates it should be. I am not a battery expert but that's what I did. I figure it calibrated the battery meter and gave the battery a good up and down.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I too have noticed 100-90% really quickly but slow after that. Like I charged all afternoon to 100%, check some emails then it hit 90% about 15 mins later. I think the iPad is super conservative when it charges the battery and doesn't charge fully to 100%. The % is inaccurate - just turn it off and enjoy. Like other posters said, takes awhile.

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I pretty much did the same thing and my battery is running proper!

I use this thing as much if not more than my ipad2 and I can go almost 2 days before a full charge. Granted with the 2 I could go three days but I will take 2 days and a retina screen any day

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I was just discussing this in another thread. I have the exact same issue but when I turn my iPad off and then back on the battery meter reverts back to 100% and stays there for hours. So, I find that I have to turn my iPad on and off every morning when I take it off the charger and after that I'm good to go. Battery life is supernal!

10. midlandman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response guys I think i was just in a panic!! I love my new Ipad and the battery life beats any other tablet out at the mo! Will do a few things ye suggested and see how it goes. thanks :)

11. AllenA07 macrumors newbie

I've noticed the same thing, I really think that this is an issue with the battery meter and not the battery itself. My iPad will go from 100% to 90% quickly and then take forever to fall from there. If I turn it off and back on I generally will jump back up towards 95% and then slowly drop from there.

If a poor battery meter is the biggest problem with my iPad then I'm pretty thrilled!