Possible iPhone 6 Delay!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newtons Apple, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The business news is reporting the following:

Apple’s anticipated iPhone 6 announcement next month could reportedly be delayed due to supply chain issues.

According to Reuters, problems with the screens necessitated a redesign. Assembly was delayed during parts of June and July.

“Now, Apple had been trying to make the new models as thin as possible, but the screen and a newer design for the iPhone 6 was not bright enough. So, they had to go back to the drawing board and rework it,” said FBN’s Jo Ling Kent, citing the Reuters report.

Analysts are expecting Apple to unveil two iPhone 6 models: One with a 4.7-inch screen, and another with a larger 5.5-inch screen. Apple has scheduled a media event for September 9, at which many assume the company will introduce the new phones. It is unclear whether the supply issues will delay the event.

Apple screen suppliers Japan Display, Inc., Sharp Corp., and LG Display Co. were not available for comment on the design issues. Apple's stock is up over 26% year-to-date, widely outpacing the broad S&P 500.

I hope it is not so! iPhones are thin enough! Stop it Apple! :confused:

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

it will still go on sale in september, good luck getting one on day one though

3. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

This makes me wonder if this is why the 5.5 version is rumored to have a major 2+month delay in release after Sept. Maybe Apple saw the production issue, and focused on fixing the 4.7 first and getting production ramped up.

4.7 will more likely be way more popular and it would make sense to try and build stock of that phone at the expense of the 5.5.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

After all the various rumors over the summer:
    - No iPhone 5.5
    - iPhone 5.5 in 2015
    - iPhone 5.5 in October

Not to mention all the drivel about the iWatch, the 12" Macbook Air and various refreshes - I don't attach any more credibility to this rumor!

5. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

They will never be thin enough.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

When all the bleeding iPhone users start showing in the ER to get stitched up.

7. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

It can be thin without being sharp. :)

8. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I have no problem with the delays, if any. Apple procrastinated for years and clung to tiny displays, finally they decide to bring the iPhone up to date. Let's not rush them.

9. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Come back and say it again after yours get bent!:p

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

When iPhone is a single molecular layer it will slice right through you - you won't even feel it until there's blood everywhere. Also invisible edge on - Samsung won't be able to do the pencil commercial any more.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Isn't this the usual story? Last year wasn't there a shortage of some component for the new home button?

Button line, it will still launch when expected, but this "shortage" will make it so that people will have to line up and fight to get one well into the holidays, and the crazy demand will be prominent in the media. Sound familiar?

12. cynics macrumors G4

Seems week.

Design a smart phone with many years experience doing such and then say "whoops we didn't make the screen bright enough"?

That would leave me questioning the entire phone if something so blatantly obvious gets overlooked.

13. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

:D

They won't make a phone with all the required hardware so thin that it'll just bend without some force behind the bending. It'd be unusable and no one would purchase it.

haha. :)

Of course, I was talking from a practical standpoint, not a theoretical standpoint. As thin as they can be made without cutting through you or bending without an appropriate amount of force being applied, is good.

14. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Gee, another year, another report of impending delays or shortages a few weeks before the keynote. Wake me if something interesting happens. :p

16. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Jeez, Apple, you design a phone, they're is a bunch of leaks! Or maybe they might also be doing that to look different to the leaks.

17. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Don't panic! Apple hasn't even said there is an iphone6.

All kidding aside, its more important that Apple gets it right which they will. Most likely the September launch is good as they have to make their numbers for the quarter.

19. Newtons Apple, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You can bet they will not release iOS 8 without the iPhone 6.

----------

There can be a "thin line" as to what is an "appropriate amount of force". Many iPhone 5 got bent. Friend has his naked 5s in his front jean pocket and his leg and phone brushed up against a table and it bent right at the volume down button. His phone as just 3 days old. We buried it at sea.

20. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It won't be delayed.

21. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

This Apple at it again. I can't believe people keep falling for this crap. They do this every single year. We have shortages for this reason, or for this. Every year there are millions of iPhones at launch, and the next iPhone becomes the highest selling smartphone in a weekend ever. They do every time. Every time people freak, and line up trying to make sure they get it.

It is simple supply and demand. If they keep the supply just low enough. It keeps demand up, and keeps people wanting it. Apple knows what they are doing, and they are some of the best in the business at doing it.

22. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Ok but don't tell anyone. Let's keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

I, too, think they will not be delayed but it could effect the quantity of units available at launch.

23. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Maybe they'll announce the offering on the 9th but there will just be a longer delay between the event and the first units becoming available, as was the case with the original iPhone (January to June, wasn't it?)

24. cynics macrumors G4

Are you suggesting Apple themselves planted this rumor of the iPhone not being manufactured/designed correctly (and now other rumors suggesting a band air type of repair for it) that would cause the iPhone in its entirety to be delayed?

----------

Yes. If it was actually delayed we would never know about it. Unless its a obvious difference like the og.

25. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I am suggesting that in a way. Now I am not saying Tim Cook started this rumor to try and boost sales, but what could have happened was they saw they had an issue. They had to fix it. They knew it would not really delay anything, or cause shortages. They knew though that if they story got out that it could help the hype of the phone.

This is nothing new. Companies do this all the time. Plant stories that are not really as big of a deal as they know they will turn into. They just know if they get them out. It's only going to help them. I see nothing wrong with this. It's simply marketing, but I just find it funny so many people freak out about it. Sure not everyone that wants an iPhone at launch will get one, but that does not mean they are delayed, or have shortages.