Possible iPhone 6 PayPal Scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rumorman69, Sep 13, 2014.

1. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Someone wants to buy my extra iPhone 6 I preordered from me and pay through PayPal. If we don't use ebay, which takes a 10% fee, is there a way for this person to start a chargeback or something and keep the phone / take away my money? I don't want to be scammed. How should I accept payment.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

There's always a huge risk, even if it's outside eBay. If your gut feeling is telling you something is off, don't do it.

3. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

4. California King macrumors 65816

I've done this a couple of times selling on eBay. In my listing I would say that I can give a reduced price if done through PayPal instead of eBay. Anyways, just create an invoice on PayPal and send it to the buyer. The invoice should automatically include seller/buyer protection. Just make sure you are sending it to a confirmed address.

Also, here's some more info about "seller protection"
    https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Cash. Locally. Only.

6. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

There is no way to 100% protect against a chargeback but best you can do is make the paypal payment for goods and services (NOT gift) then ship with tracking and online viewable signature confirmation. Insurance is a good idea too. Most CCs and paypal will deny a chargeback if you can prove delivery via sig confirmation. Good luck.

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

They can file a chargeback either way. That doesn't mean they'll win.

8. Ayr macrumors 6502

I also trade on eBay and often do deals outside of it with buyers/sellers to dodge the eBay fee. Never had a problem as I almost always use Paypal which is where the protection comes from anyway.

If it's a really big trade, like a phone, bike or car or something then I'll do the trade outside of Paypal and eBay and ask for direct bank transfer. Transactions over £500 in the UK are classed differently and are taken more seriously, so if someone tried to screw me, I'd have the police investigate and I make that clear on listings.

Develop your personal judgement in life - the world works fine without eBay and Paypal. I can get a measure of a person by talking to them, and so should you.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It doesn;t have to be a terribly big risk (obviously it will always be bigger than cash..)

1.) Agree to ship only to a registered address.
    2.) Be absolutely clear, through paypal correspondence what the buyer is getting and include all model and serials numbers in your invoice. YOU BILL the buyer, they don't just blind send the money.
    3.) Videotape yourself, making sure to show the serial and model you mentioned in your listing, boxing and mailing the package; the taping should be uncut. Better yet, have someone box it for you professionally and tape them doing it. I have done the latter, promising to only essentially tape hands, no faces, at a UPS store. YMMV finding someone willing to do this though. Usually this only costs an additional $10... worth it.
    4.) All packages must be insured to cover the seller, so don't even consider not insuring it.
    5.) Should they do a chargeback, paypal will ask you to present evidence of your legitimacy. That video should be more than enough.

All that said, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it locally for nearly what this person is offering, unless they are simply offering ridiculous amounts of money, in which case they are likely going to have you ship it to some unregistered address.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

What he said.

I will only sell my phone locally on craigslist. Wayy to big of a chance to get scammed on eBay/Paypal.

11. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Good info, but Paypal will not accept video evidence.

12. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll see if I can send him an invoice. Does sending an invoice really activate PayPal Seller Protection? I couldn't find much information online.

Edit: On second thought, after reading the latest comments, I might try to sell locally on craigslist. I'm just a little bit afraid of getting counterfeit bills or being robbed in person. I would definitely only meet at a public place like a mall or a Starbucks.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I had to use it once with a 3GS. Obviously I can't be certain if it helped (I provided other evidence as well plus a private link to my youtube account), but it was resolved within two business days. The following link shows me no reason they wouldn't accept video evidence.

https://www.paypal.com/hk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/seller/ChargebackRisk-outside

14. nox5 macrumors 6502

15. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I've used paypal to sell online for several things, including very expensive items and never had a problem.

16. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I always meet inside a bank or my local police station. They allow it. Safe for both parties. There are cameras everywhere deposit the money while the buyer is there. I got fake $100 bills for Tv I sold. I learned the hard way.

Buyers get robbed too. Thieves lie about having an expensive product for sale and know the buyer has the cash on their person. If the person is legitimate they have no problem meeting inside bank or PD.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The invoice isn;t what activates seller protection, per se. It is simply an added step. Kind of hard for the buyer to say "I ever wanted this" and then send you back an empty shoebox if you have multiple steps of him/her approving the purchase.

As far as selling in public, I have done this. Again, you can't stop a crazy person. However, some safeguards.

1.) Buy a counterfeit currency pen. The one I have also has a UV light for the hologram and cost me about $10... it will probably last a lifetime. I am a bit of a CL junkie, so I probably get more use than most, but still, it's ten bucks lol
    2.) Meet the guy at a mall where there is a bank ATM. The mall I frequent has all I need: ATM, Apple store, Verizon store, AT&T store, Gamestop, etc.
    3.) If it's not apparent I really like lists. :cool:

18. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Will definitely order one of those pens in the next 5 minutes on Amazon. It's one of those neat things to have I've always wanted, but never wanted enough to actually remember to buy one. Thanks man, appreciate the tips!

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is how I would do it as well.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

In the parking lot of the Police station. :)

21. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps meeting at a bank would be a good idea. Would the employees there make a problem? It would feel a little weird to me, but should be safe.

22. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

He could pay you through PayPal Gift, then it's very difficult for him to get the money back plus you don't pay fees. Only advocating this since I highly doubt you'd scam him.

----------

Should've read the whole thread before posting...

But I'd recommend meeting at his chain and having him withdraw the money in front of you.

You're relatively safe. Just wait in the bank and don't meet in the parking lot.

23. E3BK, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Definitely meet at a public place like Starbucks. Sit in a place and position your self where it would be difficult for them to bolt towards the door or something. That said, I've sold my 3GS & 4 locally through Craigslist. You get lots of spam emails but eventually, you'll find someone you are comfortable selling to. If it feels shady in the least, don't do it. Talk to them on the phone first if at all possible.

Personal note: In my last sale of the iP4, I said I wanted to find a good home for my old iPhone. I sold it to a couple who had decided to give up their life in the city and travel the world and needed an unlocked phone. I told them it was jailbroken and could be used. As soon as I was able, I had it unlocked officially and sent them instructions on how to do it so that they could upgrade the OS. They sent me photos of their travels that they took on the phone and I thought that was pretty cool.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

For this I would only do cash and local as you'll have no issue selling on Craigslist.

Generally I only sell online when it's last resort or an item that needs to be plugged in and tested. I don't like bringing strangers to my house to test items and don't like going to their house either

25. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Craigslist I haven't found to be worth the hassle. I prefer eBay although maybe I'll try CL for my 5S if I can get more money, which I doubt. I'm not entirely comfortable with meeting a stranger who may mug me, but eh probably won't happen :rolleyes:.