possible iphone scam ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nephron8, Jun 19, 2012.

1. nephron8 macrumors regular

hello,

I came across this guy selling iphones on ebay.co.uk

he accepted my offer of 32 gb iphone 4s for 239.9 gbp.
    is it scam or Am I too lucky ?

his only catch is he said phone will ship after 30 days of payment.

how is it possible?

I thought of wholesale lots and that also does not work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110899256965

My inner voice tells me , if something is too good to be true, stay away from it.

what you all say?

thanks.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Looks very, very dodgy to me - there's absolutely no way anyone could sell genuine, brand new, iPhones for that price: it's less than half the RRP of £599

I suspect the shipping delay is probably so they can get the money out of PayPal and do a runner before they get caught!

If you look at the seller's previous items, they are all pretty low value stuff and certainly not 20 iPhones (plus there is no feedback since last november) - it's most likely a hacked account

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is almost always correct and if you don't listen it will tell you "I told you so".

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It's a scam. He says it takes 30 days because that's how long PayPal/eBay stops taking complaints after a payment goes through. Don't pay, stay away it's a scam. Report him to eBay.
    Edit:
    It appears the seller has positive feedback. I still think its to much risk though.

5. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Not worth it -- don't do it, and be sure to report it to eBay ASAP.

6. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah he has positive feedback but all for petty items nothing like costly stuff.

More than that I totally agree with 30 days thing. It's more than adequate for taking out funds from PayPal.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for confirming this scam.

7. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

When I went about reporting,
    eBay site said listing is confirmed without seller authorization.

To me it looks like -- this guys account is hacked and some one else is using his identity and siphoning off funds from different PayPal.

Sad sad and am lucky that I did not get scammed.

He sold some 20 phones that evening and am sure those remaining 19 are in for rude shock.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You were lucky...This is why I just can't trust ebay any more...I got stung once, and that was back in the day when they didn't do much about this type of scam...They are much more switched on now though, and I've seen stuff I've been tempted to buy...Every time I think about buying, something like this comes up and stops me again. You were sensible enough to know that the price was wrong....a 4S is obviously worth more.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

10. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

my issues is this

I am using mail forwarding services of aramex and I use my Indian banking cards for payment.so that leaves me out of sites which ask for american issued credit card or american paypal account.

so this leaves me with very few sites to shop on

1) amazon
    2) ebay.

those two guys either accept my indian credit card and indian paypal account.

thats why my choice remains restricted for ebay and amazon.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well at least you know Amazon is solid...In all the years I've been dealing with them the service just gets better and better. Shame that your CC limits you though. Just a thought....Could you get a BOA credit card from Amazon? It doesn't just limit you to their site, and you collect point for everything you buy.

12. barryl85 macrumors regular

13. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

my cc is titanium cc from leading private bank of India.

I did ask them to add my US address for shipping purpose but they were unable to do that.

I am amazon prime subscriber so yes their service is rock solid.
    those guys even accept debit cards.I love them for their customer service and flexibility.

I did ask them about it but they said 'you are not located here in USA so no social security no. for you .

without SS no. we cant do anything to help.'

so now a days all my major stuff comes from amazon and stuff which is from reputed ebay seller's comes from ebay.

I use ebay mostly for brand new phones .:p

14. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I feel sorry for anyone who has ordered from them, as they seem fake b

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

easy to figure he got hacked just look at his seller history nothing indicates he is a wholesaler of any type! Also Apple doesn't allow wholesaling so they loose their license.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. Demonface macrumors 6502a

seems like a scam as it says shipping is done in 42-50 days and the listing has ended and all 20 phones were sold.

18. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

I reported to eBay yesterday afternoon and today morning I got email from eBay theft prevention dept saying listings are removed.

Thanks guys ,

I did not pay a single penny but those remaining 19 guys are in bad position.