Possible issues - purchasing iphone without contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasM, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ThomasM macrumors regular

i have the chance to purchase a brand new sealed ipone that hasnt got a contract

What are the possible issues, can i just take the phone out of the box, put my sim in it, connect it to itunes and im good to go ?

2. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

nope, unless its jailbroken you really can't get away with it. When you plug it into itunes you will have to activate it.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Your "NIB" 3G iPhone is bricked, so there's no way around it at this time, you'll have a new 2-year contract as soon as you activate, considering you qualify or have an AT&T account already... Good luck either way. :cool:

4. ThomasM thread starter macrumors regular

Does a jailbreak exist for the 3G version already?

cheers

5. ThomasM thread starter macrumors regular

It's in hong kong.
    I want to purchase one and bring it back to Norway

So there's no chance ?

6. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

dont listen to everyone ... buy it activate it with pwnage mac or winpwn for pc and it should work just fine... as long as you are an ATT customer... if not then dont try because it cant be unlocked yet

i think it will work right out of the box if you have the original iphone plan just pop that sim in the 3g and connect to itunes.

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

This is actually all incorrect...

Using pwnage you can activate the phone. Beyond that you will have no issues.

8. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Just check that it is a real iPhone - we all know the stories of people getting scammed with fake first gen phones.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, you could purchase one, (I've heard that some countries are releasing iPhone with unlock capabilities right out of the box?) but activating it here in the US or China, would probably incur "international roaming charges" that are outrageously (adverb) outrageous (adjective) in this outrageousness (noun)...:eek:

Check out this website:
    http://www.dbtechno.com/phones/2008/07/02/att-selling-3g-iphone-without-contract-at-premium-price/

Hope this helps. Good luck.