Possible keyboard issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deacon-Blues, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

I just purchased a 15" MacBook Pro Touch yesterday. Last night when I got it home I noticed that the G key would not respond. I tapped it about 10 times and it started functioning normally. That was it until a few moments ago, when the G key stopped responding again. Another 10 or so taps and it was back to normal.

Clearly something is going on. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it software, or should I be heading back to the Apple Store?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There have been similar complaints. It's the keyboard, not software. Probably needs to be cleaned, which they should be able to do at the Apple Store.

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

As mentioned above, there's relatively widespread issues with the new keyboard. Take it to Apple to be fixed/replaced - there won't be any questions asked.

If you're outside of the UK, I suggest getting AppleCare.

4. Deacon-Blues thread starter macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

I'm beginning to suspect that it may have been something under the key. I have tapped it about 500 times since (I sat here just tapping it into notepad) without another failure. I believe I have 14 days to return it in case the problem pops up again.

5. billsky macrumors newbie

What's the manufacture date of your mac, if you'd like to share? It can be seen via coconutbattery and other apps. I don't know if recent ones fixed this issue.

6. Deacon-Blues thread starter macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

My manufacture date is January 16, 2017. Interesting note, my battery's capacity is actually higher than the design capacity. Good battery!

I've gone all day today without any further G-key strangeness.

7. iCarabma macrumors 6502

2 (and a half) things

1. After having mine for about 3 weeks the command button stopped working. It was as if it was stuck mid-stroke. It would respond about 15% of the time. I took it to the Apple Store hoping they could just pop the key off and replace it and instead they just replaced the machine with a new one in the box. The upside was I wasn't prepared for that and didn't bring in my charged so now I have two. Which is nice.

2. Last night the return key on the new machine started doing the same thing. I got frustrated and started fooling with it. Pressing really hard on the edges, and It popped back into to place. Working as normal now. There clearly are some issues to be worked out with the new keyboards.

BONUS HALF THING. Aggravations aside, I really like the new keyboard. I find the travel and clicky-ness pleasing.

8. Trixs macrumors regular

Similar stuff here. I like the keyboard, but I now have to smash the arrow down key for it to work. Pain in the ass because I need the computer for work so don't really want to go and have this fixed if it's going to take days.

9. SnackTime macrumors newbie

Similar story here. I just got my 15" tMBP and, at first, the 4 key would only work on a very firm press. This was pretty aggravating since my passwords have a 4 in them and I didn't realize the 4 was not working when I set it up.

The 4 key now seems to work fine however after I decided to repeatedly press it for a minute or two. Now it works as expected. Whether this will last, or if the issue will crop up with other keys who knows!

It does seem to be a relatively common issue though. I saw some people were able to fix it by pressing their non-functional key a bunch, while others had to have their MacBook repaired/replaced.