possible leopard issue? dual-screen discoloration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr5878, Apr 11, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey everyone

i have a new 2.4ghz penryn mbp. i used to have a 2.2ghz merom machine but it was replaced by apple for a myriad of problems. both seem to have the same issue so i suspect it's a leopard problem... lets see.

i have a 20" lcd panel in dualscreen mode with my mbp, the 20" panel being the primary display. every so often i'll have discoloration issues with the UI. sometimes it'll be the trash bin, sometimes the wallpaper, sometimes finder windows, mail icons, etc. they seem to have a yellowish tinge. sometimes a restart fixes it, sometimes it goes away on its own. it isnt consistent, so i don't think its either lcd panel. right now, for example, i'm using the aurora default background on both displays -- the 20" displays it fine, but on my mbp it seems yellowish... almost green. it isn't the 'yellowing problem' because it isnt consistent... sometimes it displays the wallpaper fine.

what could it be?

2. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

on the phone with apple tech support... they're baffled. here's an image i made for him, a screen cap from my mbp screen and one from my 20" external display. this doesn't seem to be hardware... it looks like software.

[​IMG]

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sounds like your profiles. If color accuracy is important grab a monitor calibration device, works WONDERS and I bet youll never have the problem again.

4. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

isn't profiles... it does the same thing under other user accounts, and if i switch to default profiles.

5. connectfailed macrumors newbie

Safari and iChat - dual screen discoloration

I also have major dual-screen discoloration problems. So much so that I completely stopped using my external monitor.

I have a MacbookPro 17 inches (Merom 2.33GHz with 3Gigs). Never had this problem before with Tiger. The problem started after I installed Leopard. It occurs only when an external monitor is used. The problem occurs both in ichat's chat windows and safari windows. Rebooting will sometime solve the problem for a while but it comes back consistently. It usually happens when scrolling the window. Scrolling back and up might refresh the colors for a while but only for a second or so until the discoloration happens again.

I doubt this a hardware issue because the problem is confined to a few specific windows.

When unplugging the external monitor the problem goes away. It does not seem to be specific to one monitor. I tried a few. And the problem can happen both on the primary display and the secondary display. I haven't tried them in mirror mode to see if the problem also happens then...

I hope this gets fixed in the upcoming 10.5.3...

Other people have a similar problem?

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have since taken my mbp to an apple store, and they performed an archive and install on the spot for me. yeah, i could have done it myself but they wanted to do it in order to escalate the issue to the software engineering team in cupertino.

no problems since :)

7. Jones105 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. 13 inch White Macbook with a 17in Dell external monitor. I've noticed the problems occurring in iCal and Safari only.

8. JakeLee macrumors newbie

screen grabs

Hi guys

I'm using a 24" iMac with Leopard with a dual 20" Dell monitor. Whenever i use the screen grab option (cmd-shift-4) the colours in the file it saves come out darker.

This is really a problem because i'm a designer and getting colours perfect is so important.

9. JakeLee macrumors newbie

Right i think it's got something to do with having dual monitors. (Just to clarify i wasn't screen grabbing off one monitor and viewing it on the other.)

It seems that the screen shot tool was taking a colour profile off the other monitor even though it wasn't in use and is the second display anyway (very annoying).

I had both screen using different colour settings but i have them both using the same now and it seems to have solved the problem, although the screen shot tool seems to output at the smaller screens resolution (blurrier than usual)

10. connectfailed macrumors newbie

Your problem seem completely different than what we were describing here.

In any case, I was wondering if your pictures being blurrier would not be related to the format the screen shot tool is using. Are you using jpeg? I used Onyx or Thinkertool to change it to a lossless format, say PNG. You can later convert it to jpeg if you want using the highest quality. I don't know maybe my comment is completely irrelevant but when I grab screen shots mine are exactly like the original as far as I can tell so this is the only thing that came to my mind.