possible liquid damage question

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
so long story short... i had a bannana in my bag that was squished and made a small puddle at the bottom of my bag.

by the time i noticed , the bottom of my bag was wet. my computer was in a case but when i took it out of the sleeve it seemed like the liquid seeped through the case. the computer was only affected in one corner .. the goo-ish substance was near the ports though.

i wiped it down and then i opened the computer. the rubber around the screen seemed to stop it from getting into the actual computer..

i wiped it down and everything seemed to work. all ports work and it charges and turns on and off fine.. is there anything i should watch out for?

i ran a diagnostics on the computer and it said everything was fine and no problems where found.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sometimes, it takes time for liquid exposure to affect the computer. It's also possible that, even though exposed to liquid, the machine will continue to function as if it were never exposed.

I recommend shutting down the machine, removing the bottom cover, disconnecting the battery, remove as many components as possible, and look for any signs of moisture or the like. If you find any affected areas, gently clean the area with pure isopropyl alcohol, and place all parts into a sealed plastic bag with desiccant.

MikeThicke

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
I wouldn’t worry about a small amount of banana goo. The risk of damaging something by opening up your computer and trying to dry components is far higher, imo, than that your computer was damaged by liquid.

mbvmbmb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Sometimes, it takes time for liquid exposure to affect the computer. It's also possible that, even though exposed to liquid, the machine will continue to function as if it were never exposed.

I recommend shutting down the machine, removing the bottom cover, disconnecting the battery, remove as many components as possible, and look for any signs of moisture or the like. If you find any affected areas, gently clean the area with pure isopropyl alcohol, and place all parts into a sealed plastic bag with desiccant.
its been more than 24 hours.. computer seems like new. should i still worry?
[doublepost=1509292677][/doublepost]
I wouldn’t worry about a small amount of banana goo. The risk of damaging something by opening up your computer and trying to dry components is far higher, imo, than that your computer was damaged by liquid.
thats the thing.. i dont think any liquid got inside of the computer but i cant be sure. ive inspeceted the bottom case and it seems clean : (