Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cradle6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
So I stupidly spilled some weird diet stevia soda on my 2011 MacBook pro's keyboard (enough to make a square inch puddle on the keyboard). I immediately hard turned off the notebook and cleaned off the soda, before turning it upside down and keeping it like that. Once I got home I removed the battery and continued keeping it upside down.

My hope was that the liquid didn't make its way into the internals.

24 hours later I took it to the Apple Store to inspect for liquid damage. Unfortunately, and against my wishes, the apple genius booted the computer in the back of the store. Regardless, he said that it seemed to work, but there might be a problem with the RAM or the logic board. He didn't know.

I immediately turned the computer off again and removed the battery, leaving it off for another 3 days.

I used it for a few more days before taking to Mr. Notebook for a diagnostic. They said they didn't see any residue inside of it, also they said it passed their tests (including a memory test). Also all the keystrokes work. They concluded it was not in need of any repairs.

My one concern is that whatever was in this weird stevia soda will continue to reside in the computer and eventually corrode the components over time. I asked what it would take to use some rubbing alcohol over all the internals. Replied that it's an unusual request, but he had done it before. Said it would be $100 for that.

What would you do in this situation? Should I pay the guy to make sure it's done right? Try to find someone else? Or should I just not worry about it, trusting that the computer survived the spill/liquid didn't get very far?

Thanks for reading.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Soda is acidic. That goes for any type of soda including soda water.

It has carbon dioxide dissolved in it, making it a weak solution of carbonic acid.

If any has got on the logic board, it will cause corrosion.

I would have it cleaned. a hundred bucks is worth it for the peace of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.