Possible Mac mini competition?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by Cape Dave, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

2. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

The Optiplex 7040 Micro offers quad core power in a small package. Are you going to purchase that unit that you configured?

Those Dells look interesting but I am intrigued by the pricing. In the end, it looks like you have to pay Mac money to get Mac performance. The 16GB memory upgrade is still $151. Wasn't a 2012 i7 with 16GB and an SSD about the same price with built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and all the rest? :apple:

3. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Looks good to me. I'm waiting until fall to see which way I'm going. I've pretty much made up my mind with a dual boot (Windows 10/Linux Mint) configuration.

I'm going to evaluate the best hardware with Skylake quad core for my needs.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Can it run the Mac OS?

If not, absolutely no use to me.

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Likewise; don't play games, don't use any apps that don't run on OS X, don't want to mess around with computers and apps. Just want to get things done with minimal hassle.…..

The office geek, who installed Windows 10 on most of the computers in the office was mumbling the other day "I hate Windows," as something got messed up. This time last year before he arrived (back, I taught him as an undergrad student a few years ago) the office computers were still running XP. Seems nothing fundamental has improved much.

6. Daisy81 Suspended

Daisy81

Clemson installed a bunch of those into their technology building. They are pretty nice. However in my personal opinion after what Dell did to the Zino I don't know if I would trust them in the long run. The Mac Mini has a solid pedigree.

7. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

The only way to run OS X reliably is a Mac.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2016 ---
    I use Windows 10 in a VM for a little over a year now and use it for Windows programs and it has been reliable with no crashes but it is a bloated and somewhat confusing OS as always.

I prefer the simplicity of OS X although it has become bloated also. Linux Mint is a very good non bloated OS and not walled in like OS X and what MS is starting to do with Windows.

8. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 65816

I realize that this will not run OSX. I am not a hackintosh guy either. But there are things I like about Windows and things I like about OSX. I use OSX currently.

I posted this just because it is so hard to find a decent small, powerful computer that is not the NUC.

And the price is not cheap, unless one compares it only to the Mac Mini :)

And I am glad to have Linux as an alternative.