Possible MacBook Virus with epcassist?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TMaria, Jun 11, 2014.

1. TMaria macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what this is in regards to. My sister was watching a movie on my laptop and was not sure if she pressed anything but after that this message kept popping up. It wont let me close it and it wont let me open safari regularly. Every time I open safari this is the first thing that pops up. I've already tried restarting my laptop, shutting it down for a few minutes then starting it back up and I can't seem to figure it out. I do not want to call the number as it can be a scam. I've looked on other sites in regards to the epcassist site and it mostly came back as a microsoft scam. I am not sure what to do to get rid of this message as I would like to keep using safari. This message only pops up when I open safari, when I open google chrome, it works fine. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 2.42.38 PM.png

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

3. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like Safari is reloading the last page you visited (which may have been loaded as a popup). Does your sister know your password if it asked her to install a video codec?

As already mentioned, try resetting Safari (click Safari in the menu bar then 'Reset Safari'..). Otherwise, try opening Safari's Preferences, go to the Security tab and disable JavaScript.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. SCrosby macrumors newbie

@TMaria have you found a solution? My Mac is doing the same thing and it won't let me reset safari! Please help!

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It would seem that you were the victim of scamware. You likely said yes to installing something that was probably not what it seemed to be. You mention watching a movie-- was that in a browser or did you have to download a viewer app? If so, there you go.

Clear all history and caches in Safari and let's hope that helps. If any recent add-ons or extensions have been added to Safari lately, they may need to be removed too.

7. sdb1223 macrumors newbie

Has anyone found another solution to this? I was trying to watch something on watchtv-series and that webpage came up. I'm not able to restart safari or delete my history because the options aren't even available.

8. pvsmiths macrumors newbie

I think we figured it out.

Same problem here. We finally were able to click "reset Safari" under the top menu (under "Safari"). You have to move the button up by the menu so that you can act quickly before it puts its next window up. Be persistent. It took us awhile but finally got fast enough to click into the menu. I know there must be a better way, but this is all that we have come up with.

9. danmccool macrumors newbie

epcassist scam

I too received the same screen warning. I called the number and was told that for a one time fee of 149.00 they would hook up to my computer and solve the problem. This made no sense so I hung up and decided to try some alternatives on my own. What worked for me was to select the apple symbol and force quit Safari. Also, do not select re-open files when you again access Safri. This allows you to then go to safari and reset the browser. Problem solved and you just saved 149.00 scam dollars. Good luck and hope this helps.

10. TheMunky macrumors newbie

Found a Solution

I had the same problem from just simply opening a website (Delishows).

My solution: 1) Quit Safari (Safari drop down - top left)
    2) Unplug the modem
    3) Open Safari - with no internet hooked up
    4) Delete history and open a new site.
    5) Connect modem

Hope that helps anyone who was freaking out like I was.

11. megapjnkemno macrumors newbie

THANK YOU TheMunky!!! I was freaking out and you saved me a trip to the computer store to fix it!

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's a simple browser hijack. These have become notoriously more common on Mac devices. People figure if they can't write viruses for Macs they'll just take the alternative route: scamming people of their money. :rolleyes: but don't worry, as long as no personal information was given you're 100% fine :)