Possible Mail Bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by n7plus1, Jul 18, 2010.

1. n7plus1 Guest

iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. Happened on 4.0 as well. This is the second time this has happened. Look at the center email...anything look funny? It won't let me delete and eventually changes to a date in the year 2000 then randomly will go away. It just shows up on it's own. Email setup with default gmail account settings.

[​IMG]

2. celticpride678

Does it show the same date in the Gmail web interface?

3. n7plus1 thread starter Guest

no, it does not, i just checked.

4. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Go to Settings > Mail > and disable the mail account. Then re-enable it.

See if that fixes the problem.

5. n7plus1 thread starter Guest

i have deleted the account when it first happened and set it back up while being on ios 4.0. now it has done it again after upgrading to 4.0.1....

6. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Yep, last day of year 69

OK, back to topic, can you delete you iphone gmail, clean up you web base gmail and than re add the iphone gmail.

7. brayhite macrumors 6502a

This also happens to me. Sometimes there will be two emails. Usually I go to the account it's set up with and check that, rather than go to Inbox that shows all the mail. That seems to make it disappear.

On a sidenote, I've been experiencing quite often (at least 4 or 5 times since June 29th when I got it) a bug where I get a new email on my Gmail account, yet going to Inbox, it shows the blue dot next to the second most recently received email and doesn't even load the one that I supposedly just received. In order to view it, I have to go to All Mail under Gmail and let it load there, then all of a sudden it's at the top in my Inbox.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. And it's not a huge deal. Just an imperfection of the software I guess that kinda bugs me (no pun intended).

8. Divindude macrumors member

I've had this same thing happen with my MobileMe account too .. so it is not just GMail. I get early badge notifications on the home screen with no new emails in the inbox, I get unread email counts on the 'inbox' mail screen with no new emails in the inbox, and I get phantom emails in the mailboxes when I delete them from another source (so they were there but are no longer).

9. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Don't Delete. Just go to Settings > Mail and turn mail off and then on again.

10. n7plus1 thread starter Guest

thanks for the advice guys...hopefully apple is reading this and fixes this ****...

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I wouldn't hold your breath! :rolleyes:

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Seems like a minor bug.

Maybe an anonymous time traveler?

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I have that happen all the time, probably once every 2 days or so. They always show up as in the above pic, dated 12/31/69 and stating that the message contains no data. I'd never tried deleting the email acct before (it's Yahoo, FWIW); restarting the phone will force the new messages to display properly in the inbox. Again, not a huge deal, but kind of irritating just the same.

14. jp70 macrumors member

Same bug here...

I get this from time to time too. I go out of All Inboxes and go to the individual inbox the erroneous message is in and is disappears. I have 3 e-mail accounts on my phone and all are .me accounts.

Attached Files:

15. drw macrumors member

This same thing just happened to me. My first sign of trouble was when I tapped on the mail icon, it crashed- would not open- crashed twice.

When I was able to get it to open without crashing, all of my emails that I had already downloaded and viewed were gone, and it went through and downloaded all of them again, even ones I had already deleted.

Also, the only mailbox I had was “INBOX”- the trash and sent folders were gone.

In those re-downloaded emails, I got several of the “no sender” emails, and in my case, there was a 2 next to it, as if it was a threaded email- even though it wasn’t. Like everyone else, I could not open those emails nor delete them.

I rebooted the phone a couple of times, and they finally disappeared. I got my trash folder back after deleting some emails- right now everything appears to be back to normal….