possible major problem with MBP? help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrahm, Aug 18, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

So i wanted to upgrade my HD from 120-320 in my MBP, bought a HD took it to a major national chain that has as couple "B's" in their name. they first told me they didnt have the tools to swap out the HD, i go back today and they tell me its done.

i was skeptic so i turn on the MBP and when it first comes on, where the apple logo would be on the screen it has a circle with a "/" through it instead. what does this mean?

i did a copy of the original HD to the new one and even booted up with the HD (via external) before i took it in. so any suggestions/help as to what the problem is?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It should mean that there is no OS. Although I've never run in to the "NO" slash, only the flashing folder. Try booting from your OS X disc and install the OS or do your restore to get it going.

The only other possibility is that there is no drive installed or the cable is not connected (or connected incorrectly).

TEG

3. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

say this is the case, can i plug in my old HD (via external) or my backup external that has the time machine backup on it, to copy over the OS and the rest of the files so it can run off the HD inside?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

As I indicated, yes. You will likely need the OS X Disc first to format the drive so that it can be written to.

TEG

5. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

sorry if i am repeating answers you have already given, but before i took it in, i formated the HD and booted the HD and everything worked fine, thats why i was worried when i saw that "no slash" icon....

6. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

sounds like it's a different hard drive that hasn't been formatted for a mac.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible they broke your drive, did a bait-and-switch, or you are unlucky.