General Possible malware attack?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by owerufbae, Mar 10, 2014.

1. owerufbae macrumors newbie

My iPad was upgraded to iOS 7.0.6 a couple of weeks ago and the evasi0n jailbreak was applied soon after. I've always been using the var/mobile/media/downloads folder for storing various data downloaded from Safari and Atomic Web Browser, and I've never experienced any problems with this before.
    However, a couple of days after the jailbreak was applied, all of the data (files and folders) stored in the downloads folder was gone without a trace. I was completely perplexed, as I've never experienced anything like that before. There was no sign of the data, not in the iFile trashcan or any other location. I wrote it off as a onetime fluke and continued to use the folder for storing downloaded data like before. Then yesterday the exact same thing happened again. All the data in the var/mobile/media/downloads folder is completely gone. I can't understand this, and to be honest I'm beginning to wonder if some sort of malware could be in play. Now, my iPad isn't loaded with apps or tweaks, not from Cydia or Appstore, so the list of suspects is limited.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Is there a rational explanation for this besides malware, i.e. iFile or Atomic Web Browser somehow corrupting the data on exit or something like that?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

do you have openssh or afc2add installed?

if you have openssh installed, have you changed the mobile and root password?
    if you have afc2add, has anyone gain physical access to your phone?

3. owerufbae thread starter macrumors newbie

OpenSSH is installed, but root password is changed.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

change the mobile password too and see if your files still disappear

iOS 7.0.6 is still being signed so if you want to restore, you better do it now as it'll probably stop being signed shortly since 7.1 has been released

5. cyber16 macrumors 6502

To Late! do not try a restore now the door has been closed!

6. owerufbae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up regarding signing. I was just about to restore...