Possible Malware or Hack?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmann, Mar 14, 2015.

1. vmann macrumors newbie

Hi, I shall say right now I'm not as tech-savvy as most folks but I think I can figure something fishy going on when I see it.

First I noticed an odd Folder Action option that I can't delete so I just disabled it. (see attached image) Then I noticed when I went to check my bluetooth mouse battery life, that there was a bluetooth keyboard connected which I do not own nor does anyone in my house own.

My question is, do you think this is malware or a hacking instance? If so I am extremely concerned as I've already had my credit card number stolen in the last 6 months.

Any advice would be helpful!

-- Thanks

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely not. When something happens on your Mac that you don't expect or understand, malware and hacking should be the last possibilities you explore, not the first. There is very little chance of an average user encountering OS X malware, unless they're routinely installing pirated software. There is virtually zero chance for an average user to have their Mac hacked.

Does it show the keyboard as actually connected, or available to connect? A bluetooth device isn't going to connect itself. Have you given anyone else access to your Mac at any time?

3. vmann thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe the keyboard was connected but I can't remember as I immediately removed it from the list. I don't know if a neighbor of mine has a mac or not so it could just possibly be that?

I've never given anyone use of my computer. The only people that would have access are my father (who has never touched a computer in his life so he doesn't know how to use it) and my brother whom has his own computer and a PC at that so he refuses to use a Mac.

The one reason I am concerned of malware is because a friend of my says that mac users tend to have a false sense of security of getting malware or hacked etc. But of course as I said, I am not tech savvy so it could be my own paranoia.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

5. vmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses! Glad to know many of these things I already do / have done. :]