Possible Math Equation Calculator? Feedback Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grabberslasher, Apr 7, 2007.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm currently playing around with a few ideas for new Mac apps, and at the moment I've coded a pretty simple Math calculator that solves linear and quadratic equations. I've also got it in mind that I want it to be able to differentiate and integrate functions as well.

I'd like to hear if anyone would think this would be a useful application for me to actually finish up and release - feedback please! I don't have a download yet available, but a screenshot:

[​IMG]

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I like this idea. You should make it solves 2 or more system of equations. I use my TI-89 to do this and it's a pain to break out the calc sometimes.

While your at it make a program for interpolating :D I use that a lot to. That would be a simple program to do.

Nuc

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

4. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

That's a really great app! Getting it to solve systems of equations with more than 2 variables would really make it killer!

Keep up the good work!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

LiveMathMaker does this and so much more. Graphing Calculator (aka NuMath) has similar functionality. Even Grapher is a fairly powerful calculator. This is not to discourage you. However, you really need to research what is already available to see how you can make a unique contribution.

6. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't all of those cost money (asides Grapher)? I was going to offer mine without charge, isn't that contribution enough?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For Classic users, Graphing Calculator is also free.

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

I have quite a few math apps on my school Powerbook, including the following:
    • 3D-XplorMath
    • LiveMath Maker 3.5.8
    • Mathcad PLUS 6 (Classic)
    • Mathematica 4.1.3
    • Mathematica 2.2.2 (Classic)
    • MathReader 5.0.1
    • Theorist 2.01(Classic)
    Last summer I realized that I was almost always turning to Theorist to do stuff, so I finally bought LiveMath Maker (the name of the most current version of what was Theorist). The app is just really great.

:rolleyes:

And I'd point out that I became a Mac user because of Theorist (which was originally a Mac only application in the late 80s). I originally saw an ad for it in Physics Today and realized that was what I needed. :cool:

[​IMG]
    Ad similar to the one I first saw around 1989

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

I think it has to do with what is part of your app and how much it can do... LiveMath Maker does both math and graphing, but also has had a very straight forward normal looking math interface (rather than translating your math into something the app can read). Mathematica is also a programing platform for building other applications that make use of the Mathematica Kernel.

But when you look at 3D-XploreMath... that one is awesome and free! It doesn't do normal math, but what it does do is still pretty incredible.

It really depends on how much time and energy you want to put into this. At some point, the app may start taking up a lot of time to keep up... that is when you jump it up to donationware, if it takes more of your resources, move it to shareware, and if it becomes a very popular app, start selling it out right. :D

10. andmill macrumors member

11. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I would absolutly love an app like that. it would help me so much with my gcse revision.

12. Amy Mac macrumors newbie

Dude, if you could make it to replace my TI-83, that would be awesome. I'm in engineering, so not having to carry around my giant calculator all the time would ROCK.

13. crunkcrumpet macrumors member

If you made it so it'd integrate and differentiate that'd be amazing, would help so so much with checking answers :cool:

14. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

you need a ti-89. EE here, UF.

15. Amy Mac macrumors newbie

Yeah maybe so :p But I'm too cheap.. I've had my 83 since 8th grade.