Possible midcycle bump to SR for the MacBook's by October?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewp, Jul 17, 2007.

1. matthewp macrumors member

I'm looking at buying a new mac notebook when Leopard comes out. I'll either opt for the MacBook Pro or the MacBook (if they possible have a midcycle bump to the new Santa Rosa platform).

Wont be playing any games on it, but don't want to buy a laptop with the old napa platform. So if there's no update i'll just get a MBP, but if they bump up the MacBook to SR by then, i'll probably opt for that.

What are the chances of a midcycle update to SR?

2. tveric macrumors 6502

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

it's possible. 2 things will have to happen first.

1) The college-iPod deal ends.
    2) SR iMacs are released.

when those two things happen, the MB can be upgraded. I think they are waiting for Leopard for the small MBP, so that might be a chance to update the whole portable line.

4. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

I can see this as a possibility, but they would probably bundle it with the Intel GMA 965 chip, rather than having a dedicated video card. That's what will distinguish the iMac from the MacBook.

5. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

The 965 offers much better performance than the 950, right?

6. matthewp thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the 965 is more power efficient, has a faster front side bus as well as greatly improved integrated graphics card (X3100)

Even with these upgrades it'll still not touch on the MacBook Pro, so why keep old technology in the MacBooks?

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I REALLY want to hold out for an update but the longest I could probably wait is september. I'm hoping since they were just bumped it won't get upgraded in like three weeks and make me want to hurt someone.

9. matthewp thread starter macrumors member

i'd either buy it now or wit out till october - that way you wont pay extra for leopard ;)

10. Apple a Day macrumors newbie

Apple a Day

Go for Macbook pro if you can afford it

I am in the same predicament, college starts in Sep. I wanted to go for SR Macbook, but I decided when the MBP came out with SR that it would be a while for macbook SR so i made the plunge into MBP SR. I love my MBP and it is always smart to give yourself enough time to learn the computer (if you are a switcher) before going back to school! Hope that helps.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I followed a similar strategy. OP, you should buy now if you need it for school. The notebook line won't be updated until after the iPod deal ends and the new iMacs come out. My guess is sometime around October/November, and that's based on the update cycle that's followed by both notebooks.

12. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

I think the Macbooks will get updated after the MBP gets updated again. If they update the Macbooks to SR who's going to pay the extra for a MBP?

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Hmmm...People who want a faster processor, more ram, bigger screen, better video card, backlit keyboard, and/or other features in the macbook pro that are not in the macbook...

14. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

Let's not start this debate again:eek:

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you'll recall, the macbooks were as fast as the mbps for about a month. They also got a bigger HD and a faster Superdrive. It's very possible that the macbooks will get SR a little bit before the mbps get Penryn. Personally, I think that the mbps will be updated late in October or the first week of November, and then two weeks later, the macbooks will see an update that includes Penryn and LED screens.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If wishes were fishes, it would smell like a Red Lobster dumpster in here.

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why are you so greedy?

The current Macbooks are very good as they are already... there is nothing that you can do with a SR laptop than you cannot do with a Macbook.

18. mox123 macrumors 6502

what about just LED screen update? I don't care for SR, but LED screen actually matters a bit to me since it'd theoretically increase battery life....when do you guys think that macbook line will be updated with a LED screen? what about an ultra-portable new laptop that's been rumored?

i'm basically in teh same boat of debating whether to get one now with a free printer and iPod nano, or wait till later...

cost constraint IS a big part of my consideration...

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Just go for it now. Macbooks won't be updated during the Student Sale. The next update won't be until after October/November.