Possible MobileMe problem/issue...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 11, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Maybe someone here can clarify the below situation, because it sort of has me worried.

MobileMe:

Let's say I have .me syncing all my contacts and calendar to my MBP and my 3G and vice versa.

Ok, so what happens if i'm using my 3G and I accidentally delete a contact and/or an event on my calendar....then seconds later, .me syncs the accidental deletion.

Or worse...what if someone borrows my phone (or steals it) and deletes all my contacts?

How exactly is this going to work? Does .me just sync the most up-to-date changes, regardless of if the changes take place over the .me web or 3G or MBP?

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Good question. I am sure there will be an option not to sync deletions....

3. mtfield macrumors 6502

yes if you delete something from your iphone it will delete from your computer. So I recommend just being careful haha.. you could turn off the sync when you leave for work or something so that it wouldnt put in the changes until u turned the sync back on. also if you put the code lock on your phone then that would protect against them messing with it due to theft...

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

iSync (and therefore dotmac/mobileme) protects the users by asking if you're sure you want to sync data if more that x% (any,5,25,or 50...set to 5 by default) of your data is changed. This way if you nuke your entire calendars or an entire group it will protect you to some extent. You should also be using time machine for backing up as well.

5. esickels macrumors newbie

MobileMe

Mobile Me won't ask the 5, 10, 15...% question. Changes anywhere sync in the back ground onto the server and therefore are pushed within seconds to all other devices. This happens on Exchange as well - you just don't go around deleting your contacts. And of course when you push the command to delete something it will ask you if you are sure - don't push yes unless you are. Problem solved.:D

6. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Also, Time Machine on your MBP will have whatever you deleted, so you can pull it out of there.