Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
That's a whole seperate issue.
I felt ripped off that third party devs aren't allowed in,
because third party Apps could make it a lot more than it is.

So you bought an AppleTV without doing even an ounce of research? Any review would tell you that 3rd party apps are not allowed yet (and may never be). Sounds more like your anger and disappointment should be aimed at yourself and not the AppleTV. Now you just sound really whiny.

I drive a Ford Escape w/ 1.6L engine, I'm really pissed off at Ford because it doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds.... /sarcasm

----------

Apps don't have access to ATV, only through media player framework.
The only way an App works, is it plays media through it.
The reason for any App issues through the HDMI adapter is likely
because they haven't handled an external display, or it's rotation properly, or at all..

P.S. Just about any of my apps that don't have Airplay support, do support Airplay Mirroring to my AppleTV. Just saying....

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You know a thread has run it's course when you end up with 2 people just doing the tit-for-tat argument. :rolleyes:

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Apps don't have access to ATV, only through media player framework.
The only way an App works, is it plays media through it.
The reason for any App issues through the HDMI adapter is likely
because they haven't handled an external display, or it's rotation properly, or at all.

That's a whole seperate issue.
I felt ripped off that third party devs aren't allowed in,
because third party Apps could make it a lot more than it is.

My friend, I am in agreement with you that the adapter may be worth it for certain scenarios, majority business. I understand too that some apps do not use it properly if at all due to whatever reasons you mentioned. I'm not saying it's perfect or imperfect. I am saying that for home use, the AppleTV is a better value based on testimonials regarding the cable's performance.

Believe me, I too would grab the cable over the AppleTV had the cable been able to provide 1080p output and consistent quality in performance. :(

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I'd be curious to see two polls: Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own Apple TV only and Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own both. I'm in the second category (latest model of each) and I'd vote Roku hands down. Both have a lot of room for improvement, but Apple TV's lack of apps and functionality is the most frustrating.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'd be curious to see two polls: Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own Apple TV only and Apple TV vs. Roku for people who own both. I'm in the second category (latest model of each) and I'd vote Roku hands down. Both have a lot of room for improvement, but Apple TV's lack of apps and functionality is the most frustrating.
What is "functionality"?

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
i dont have a roku, but i also know i dont want one. it has a bunch of apps, almost all of which i dont use. ATV is perfect for me because i stream my itunes content, but most importantly airplay NFL gamepass and NBA leaguepass. thats the key for me

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
What is "functionality"?

Off the top of my head, here are a few examples that matter to me:

Much better mobile app support: The Roku remote app works across across platforms, but no Android app for Apple TV. Also, why can't I use an ATV app on my iPad without setting up home sharing, which is useless to me since I don't use iTunes for content management?

Roku Search: ability to search across Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, VUDU and HBO GO (plus some that I don't use like Hulu Plus and Crackle).

Local USB playback: I like the option to play media from an external hard drive.

Headphone jack on the remote: I thought for sure this would be a gimmick, but it's actually really cool for late night viewing. Also: no line of site required for the remote.

Speedtest app: this is great for checking connection speeds via WiFi and my powerline adapter.

There are other features that I don't care about like motion control for gaming and the MicroSD card slot. But those might appeal to some.

I want to like Apple TV more, trust me. But AirPlay is the only real feature of value to me since I don't have any content in iTunes. If I could keep only one, it would be Roku, hands down. I hope they both step up their game... there is SO much more potential here.

And just to be clear, we have plenty of Apple devices in the house: Macbook Air, two iPads, two iPhones, iPod touch, iPod nano, etc. I'm by no means an Apple hater.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North

Headphone jack on the remote: I thought for sure this would be a gimmick, but it's actually really cool for late night viewing. Also: no line of site required for the remote.

i really wish i could do this with an ATV, don't know if id actually use it (deep sleepers in this family) but i could see it being amazing if your SO was a light sleeper.

ATV remote doesnt need line of site. Mine is ziptied to the back of my tv bracket and the remote works when i point it at myself

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Much better mobile app support: The Roku remote app works across across platforms, but no Android app for Apple TV. Also, why can't I use an ATV app on my iPad without setting up home sharing, which is useless to me since I don't use iTunes for content management?

Roku Search: ability to search across Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, VUDU and HBO GO (plus some that I don't use like Hulu Plus and Crackle).

Local USB playback: I like the option to play media from an external hard drive.

Speedtest app: this is great for checking connection speeds via WiFi and my powerline adapter.

There are other features that I don't care about like motion control for gaming and the MicroSD card slot. But those might appeal to some.

I want to like Apple TV more, trust me. But AirPlay is the only real feature of value to me since I don't have any content in iTunes. If I could keep only one, it would be Roku, hands down. I hope they both step up their game... there is SO much more potential here.

And just to be clear, we have plenty of Apple devices in the house: Macbook Air, two iPads, two iPhones, iPod touch, iPod nano, etc. I'm by no means an Apple hater.
That's why there are multiple products on the market. One meets one person needs, other meet others and we're all different. We can all wish for one unit that would satisfy everyones needs without being glitchy and difficult to use (I am putting the wife factor in there). At this point, I am pretty happy with what the aTV offers me. But my needs differ from yours.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
If they added 801.2ac I'd be on one in a shot and might be able to do away with the powerline adapters

If you're having to use powerline adaptors now to get reliable transmission of data, 802.11ac will almost certainly offer no advantage whatsoever over 802.11n. Indeed 802.11n will probably be what's used anyway because it operates on 2.4GHz (which has greater range and penetration), while 802.11ac only operates at 5GHz.

As such, the only advantage of Apple incorporating 802.11ac would be to enable shuttling of huge amounts of data from a computer to the ATV, something that is simply not needed for HD video streaming...

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have both ATV3 and a couple of Roku's. The ATV is for the master bedroom so I can use Airplay to stream from my livingroom Mac Mini things such as Internet sports etc as well as Plex. The Roku's are in a couple of the other bedrooms for access Plex. The Roku is an excellent Plex client and gets as much use as the ATV.
If Apple opened up the ATV to third party apps then I would have ATVs all round as I would appreciate a true Plex client as well as the other functionality.
Without Plex, I wouldn't use the Rokus to be honest but like I say they area great low cost client for that system.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Actually Chromecast compares to it.

Actually it doesn't. Maybe if all you ever use is netflix or YouTube then Chromecast may actually be superior with its cross-platform and the ability to use the phone/tablet for other stuff after starting the video.

However, if you want to do any of the myriad of other things airplay can do then you are out of luck. Let's see you cast a video of your kid that you took with your phone for your family. How about full display mirroring from any iPhone, iPad, or Mac (in all fairness, the must be fairly recent, my old 2008 MacBook can't do it) and no, chrome tab casting doesn't count since it's only 1 tab from a computer only and is kludgy at best. And let's not forget the thousands of apps that have airplay support built right in.

I have both and the chromecast is good for what it does. We have moved to using it almost exclusively for netflix. But I would never say it comes near the Apple TV. Not yet at least.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Actually Chromecast compares to it.

Have you actually used a Chromecast.... Google touts it as comparable, but it is certainly not. A great $35 device, but if you are a Mac user the $75 (refurb) AppleTV is a much more capable device since it can mirror your entire desktop.

I'm not saying the Chromecast isn't neat and might be just as good, but in its current state it is limited.

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
What is "functionality"?

You'd find out if you jailbroke your ATV,
or used any similar device that wasn't made by Apple.

I drive a Ford Escape w/ 1.6L engine, I'm really pissed off at Ford because it doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds.... /sarcasm
I'd be pissed too, if it was manufactured capable of the accelleration,
but was deliberately retarded by the manufacturer at considerable cost and effort.

So you bought an AppleTV without doing even an ounce of research? Any review would tell you that 3rd party apps are not allowed yet (and may never be). Sounds more like your anger and disappointment should be aimed at yourself and not the AppleTV. Now you just sound really whiny.

Absolutely. if I've already got the $1000 iDevices, Mac, and Apps in the Store,
then it makes sense to spend the $109 AU without doing any research
just for the sake of knowing what it's all about.
The result is not anger, it is disappointment all round.

The thing the company calls a hobby is the thing that should be most likely
be flexible.
If the ATV is a business on the other hand... let's make it a lock box.
It occurs to me the hobby is actually all about testing the market.

I wouldn't be any more disappointed had I purchased the thing, or not.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm kind of disappointed by the channel selection of an Apple TV vs a Roku. There are only 4 channels that interest me on my Apple TV.

I can't really find a use for AirPlay. I had a buddy over and we used it to watch Vines...but that's about it. Shared photostream is cool for a screen saver but nothing that amazing.

I definitely think Roku is a much better cable replacement.

Now that my less then one month old Apple TV is bricked I'm going to try to get a refund.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1652709/

If I can I'm gonna get a Roku, if not no biggy I'll probably get one anyway and just have both. :)

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Roku is a cheap toy in comparison to the genius of Apple TV.

LOL riiiiiiight
Buying our 4th Roku this weekend. Meanwhile both of our Apple TV's collect dust. When you don't have cable/OTA like we do it's nice being able to watch CBS, ABC, ABC Family and use continuous play for our personal library with Plex. Dedicated PBS/PBS kids channels and a bluetooth remote with a headphones jack doesn't hurt either.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I would buy one tomorrow if it was also a PVR. I think it'd be great if it could record off-air and also sync those shows to an iPad/iPhone.

They aren't likely to ever PVR the Apple TV as that would eat into their store sales. Best you could get is more of these apps like HBOgo. And with luck better terms of sale in the iTunes stores. If they could clean that act up folks wouldn't need a PVR because iTunes would serve the same basic functions

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I work for one of the tech companies that has an app on both the Roku and the Apple TV. I also have both devices at my home along with a samsung blu-Ray and a wii. Obviously the wii is a joke at this point, with the legacy samsung not far behind. The Roku is a fairly stable product and we do recommend it to some folks - especially those on a budget (entry $50), but the only one I use and the only one my coworkers take very seriously is the Apple TV. Thy Roku certainly has it's selling points, but I just never use it.

P.s. Do yourself a favor and never buy a vizio :)

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
LOL riiiiiiight
Buying our 4th Roku this weekend. Meanwhile both of our Apple TV's collect dust. When you don't have cable/OTA like we do it's nice being able to watch CBS, ABC, ABC Family and use continuous play for our personal library with Plex. Dedicated PBS/PBS kids channels and a bluetooth remote with a headphones jack doesn't hurt either.

There is not much LOL involved. Everyone favors different services. All the ones you mentioned are irrelevant to me personally. I have 4 ATVs and 1 Roku. I used the Roku to watch Amazon Prime, but since you can now Airplay it, it's just collecting dust. Most people here might also have decent iTunes libraries. Plus I also discovered that the picture quality of movies and tv shows from iTunes is much better than any other streaming service. But then again, what matters to me probably doesn't matter to you. Nothing to be laughing at :)

----------

Never had any problems streaming 1080p over wifi with my ATV3. 801.11n should be more than quick enough.

This really shouldn't be a problem. I can stream to 3 ATVs in 1080p at the same time on my N network. You probably have some other issues that is causing lag or low transmission speeds on your network. That being said I also had massive issues in the past and replaced my wireless router. It's all good since then.

But AC network may become important for 4K video in the future.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
My high school has just been kitted out with an Apple TV in every classroom - all for the purpose or AirPlay mirroring and nothing else. Seems like a bit of a waste of money considering there are about 50 classrooms and each one has a an ATV in it costing £100 a pop, and every teacher has an iPad 4 costing £479 each. As our school WiFi is so slow, the mirroring is very laggy so it makes it ridiculously slow - it's pointless.

I wonder how long it'll be before one of us students realises we can swap the mirroring to our iPhones (most students have a 4S/5/5S) and then wreak havoc on every lesson - it's completely unsecured... :rolleyes: :eek:

Back on topic...I'm probably going to order a refurb ATV 3 for £75 as soon as I have the £££. Seems worth it even if a new one comes out later this month. I'll just use a powerline Ethernet connector which I already have in my living room. My WiFi is far too slow especially seeing as I'll have 2 iPhones, an iPad, an iMac and a PC all hooked up to my router at once - at least all those devices make the ATV worth it! :D

I went in my local entertainment exchange store and they were trying to sell a used ATV 2nd gen for £140. I don't think any old unsuspecting buyer will realise that you can get a brand new 3rd gen straight from Apple for nearly half that. What a rip off. :eek:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I went in my local entertainment exchange store and they were trying to sell a used ATV 2nd gen for £140. I don't think any old unsuspecting buyer will realise that you can get a brand new 3rd gen straight from Apple for nearly half that. What a rip off. :eek:

That is the going rate for an ATV2 because they can be jail broken. I sold mine for a good bit more actually.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
That is the going rate for an ATV2 because they can be jail broken. I sold mine for a good bit more actually.

Yep. Just sold mine for $200 and probably could have gotten more. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate on updates :D Untethered jailbreak FTW.

I decided I didn't need the jailbreak anymore, so I figured I would make a little cash. Now I'm just biding my time until the 22nd to see if they do come out with anything new. If not, I'll pick up a refurb ATV 3.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
To be honest, unless they open up to third party apps - the ATV3 is all you would need at the moment. Performance is fine for 1080p and it has Wifi n & Bluetooth included. Not sure what any potential upgrades (Wifi AC or faster cpu) would give the end user to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.