Possible New Customer - Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by WickedRabbit, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. WickedRabbit macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    #1
    I'll make this short and sweet. I'm a guy who's looking at finally making the switch to Mac after having been a PC user since the dawn of my time and I've seen rumors all over the place suggesting that the iMacs might be getting a possible refresh in the next few months. Seems like they need them, as the new macbook's are more powerful than the iMac at this point.

    So, I'm wondering if I should just wait a few months. I don't want to wait a year or anything, but so far seems like people have been saying between April-June, which I think I might be able to hang until about that time.

    I'm not so much worried about "what" they get upgraded to because at the very least I expect that the new iMacs have exactly what the Macbook Pro 17" has in it, which is fine by me and is a shade step up from what they currently have anyway (also supports more ram which is key for me).

    After browsing around the boards seems a lot of you guys are pretty smart and have some good feedback so I'm mostly just asking if I should wait or if a refresh isn't likely happening in the next few months. After I saw how wrong the rumors were for what was suppose to be announced at MacWorld, I'm a bit skeptical about the validity of the current rumors.
     
  2. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    Welcome to the forums! I'm sure we are all glad you are going to be making the switch soon.

    According to the buyer's guide, which suggests that the updates are imminent, and previous rumors, I would probably predict the iMac's got get refreshed within a month or so, certainly before the early summer.

    Whatever happens, you won't be waiting for too much longer. :)
     
  3. hailst0rm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    #3
    I expect that they will be transitioning the iMac to an Nvidia chipset just like they have with their laptops. That way it should be able to make use of OpenCL when Snow Leopard is released this year. I'm not really sure how the existing ATI graphics compare in performance.
     
  4. MeatPie macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    #4
    you seem willing enough to wait, so I would definitely recommend it. The current iMac line up is coming up on its 1st birthday, and frankly I think any upgrade would be welcome and worth a month or two's wait at this point.
     
  5. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    #5
    definitely wait. It'll come soon, possibly even with snow leopard so you get that for free out of the deal.
     

Share This Page