Possible New iPhone User

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by torchflameon, Nov 21, 2010.

1. torchflameon macrumors member

Well today, I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I had an LG Vu that crapped out on me.

The only sucky thing about buying an iphone is that I just bought an ipod touch 4 in October thinking that I was going to keep my phone until it died (up until yesterday it was indestructable, but my lg vu's touch screen stopped working).

Does anyone think having an ipod touch and iphone is redundant? I have a 64 gig which is the only thing that houses my music collection.

Also, if anyone has any experience with square trade, I would like to know about it. (For warranty)

Thanks.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It's a bit redundant but my suggestion is take the plunge, buy your iPhone 4 and resell your iPod Touch for a few hundred bucks, put that towards the cost of your phone.

The upside to all of this is the fact you will be able to use data anywhere, whereas the iPod Touch is limited to WiFi-only.

3. torchflameon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but I have 50 gig music collection... Would it be worth it to keep my touch as strictly a music player? I love my ipod touch 4, but most of my friends say that they did not pick theirs up once they got an iphone.

Also, I'm getting a 16 gig iphone, and with apps, that will certainly not hold a lot of my collection.

4. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Depends on where you listen to music, I like my iPod Touch so I can listen to music at the gym and don't have to take my phone in.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why would you need all 50gigs at one time? Just get a 32g and put as much music as you can on it but leave room for apps.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly this. I have a 16 GB iPad, iPhone and 8 GB nano. I carry only what I want.

7. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

it sounds like the best thing for you would be to have an ipod classic which holds tons of music and a 8 gig iphone for just phone and apps not music.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The idea is to break your music into playlists and then only sync the playlist(s) that you want on your phone. It's pointless to try to load every song that you have ever jammed into iTunes onto your iPhone. Might be time to organize your life. :)

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I notice that poster #4 says he uses his iPod Touch in the gym so he doesn't have to carry his iPhone in there. One thing also to consider is that some gyms like the one I use do not allow any cell phones in the workout area at all. They consider it a distraction to you and to others if you are on the phone.

That being said I see the OP has two good suggestions.

1. To get the iPhone and then sell the iPod Touch recovering some of the cost of the iPhone.

2. Put only the music you want for now on the iPhone, you can change your selection later.

Let's face it, realistically you can't listen to 50 gigs of music at one time.

11. Vegastouch, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I say do what you want. I have an iPod T and an iPhone. Got the iPod first and now i dont use the iPhone anymore. Have a different phone. But i do use the iPod often when i go on runs or walks. I could use the phone for an iPod too and did once but it is heavier than the iPod so now i just use the iPod.

It all depends on your funds.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Such a ridiculous question. I have a 80+ GB music library ad it would be really nice to have it all on me where ever I go. May be why I bought an 80 GB iPod before I purchased the iPhone. you may also question why anyone would want that many games, pictures, or movies. I mean, Apple should have just stuck with a 4 GB phone, right?

OP - I still use my iPod for plane trips or long car rides. Not really that redundant, until Apple gets at least 100 GB phones a larger capacity backup is always nice to have around.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Ridiculous question? Because you need all 80gbs on you at all times right? I guess that's all you do is listen to your music all day 24/7 365 right? I never said you shouldn't sync as much music as you want, but I think it is ridiculous for someone to need 50gb or even 80gb on them at all times

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

50 GB of music is something like 15,000 (just a guess) ,could be much more. Who needs that much? I think i would break it down into songs i really liked. Even i didnt put every song of every CD in my iTunes. I only have 1,200 songs(5GB) right now and havent been thru it all.

If you want that much music, or think you need it...your only bet is a classic iPod with 120 GB or whatever they have, but NO phone for you.

15. torchflameon thread starter macrumors member

I got the 16gb iPhone. It's perfect! I have the otterbox defender case which makes it larger, but I love how I can pretty much do everything on it.

As for my touch, I think it will be my music only machine for around the house once I get a good speaker system.

The touch will be great for music on the go and when I need to listen to music... But the touch is the only thing that will hold it all. I like having a device where I can rate the music as I am listening, that's not all that fun sitting at the computer.