Possible new MBP when Leopard launches?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcmike, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. pcmike macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #1
    I REALLY REALLY want to go to the Apple store right now and buy a MBP 15" however, I'm leary of doing so because I have this thought in my head that when Leopard launches there will be some sort of update to the MBP. Am I wrong in my thinking? Should I wait? At the very least it seems like I'll be saving $200 by waiting and getting a MBP preloaded with Leopard.

    Someone please help me in my decision. Thank you!
     
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #2
    Wait.

    Chances are the MBPs will come with higher resolution screens to take advantage of new Leopard-only features.
     
  3. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #3
    No. Next revision of mobile processors from Intel isn't due out until early 2008. Buy it now.
     
  4. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #4
    Can you please provide me a place where I can read this for myself? No offense is meant, I'm just relatively new to Apple laptops. I'd like to bookmark a few sites where I can read about Apple's hardware roadmap, etc.

    Thanks for your help.

     
  5. greyhouse macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #5
    If you want/need it, buy it now. Even if there is a new MBP that comes out during Leopard, it isn't going to be anything huge update. The recent update isn't big either except maybe LED's.

    Apple is an innovative company so there will always be something newer. If you keep waiting for the next product, you are always waiting and never enjoying what is available.

    How will you be saving $200? Leopard will cost $129, but it's even cheaper with an educational discount.
     
  6. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

    Mr Fusion

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #6
    $5 says Steve announces in the next few months that all Mac products are presently 143 years ahead of anything else on the market so there will be no more updates this century. :)

    ... Another $5 says he used Time Machine to figure that out. :D
     
  7. yagran macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Brighton, East Sussex, UK
    #7
    I can imagine 17" LED screens being released around that time. other than that, new CPU's wont be available and the gfx is a new one.. only other thing may be bluray BTO option, so the questions are:

    do you want a 17"? - answer is no you want a 15"
    do you need bluray? - answer is probably not, it will only e a high end option anyway, so its not like it will become standard and your machine outdated.
     
  8. JNB macrumors 604

    JNB

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    #8
    Apple doesn't make its product roadmap public, except for those rare times Steve makes a pre-announcement. You won't know there's a new (insert product here) until it's generally available.

    Unless, of course, you're Paul Otellini. I'm not sure even Mossberg gets any heads up.

    Your best bet for an educated guess, based on product history is here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  9. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #9
    I am fairly sure there will probably be something around christmas time to spur the holiday buying frenzy. Also there has been some talk about 2.6ghz C2D chips that are due out around then.

    If the OP truly does not need it at the moment I would advice him to wait. Why not? Higher resolution screens are a possiblilty. I am not ruling out 256/512 GPU updates as well, since it is technologically possible but for some reason Apple did not incorporate that. Leopard may utilise NAND/flash boot optimisations which again will not be provided by our current gen MBPs.
     
  10. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #10
    The real question is whether or not the OP needs it now. If the OP is off to college in September, then waiting is out of the question. He should buy sooner so he can learn to use it and get a free ipod and printer. If not that, then what about his current computer? If it's near death, then he should only wait until it fails. If he can wait until after Leopard, then he should wait.
     
  11. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #11
    I currently have a Dell M60 workstation and it runs fine, but its getting a little slow for my tastes. It's coming up on 4yrs of life on the 21st of July... so I've gotten my use out of it. It's still in tip top shape cosmetically. I just put a new battery in it and I still can get 4hrs of life out of it on a single charge. There's really nothing wrong with it. I just want a change, both in terms of design and OS. I'm really liking the new things I've seen planned for Leopard. In fact, about a year ago I bought a 15" MBP and ended up taking it back because at the time I had thought Leopard with Bootcamp builtin, etc was coming out relatively soon. Here I am still waiting.....

    Decisions, decisions.

     
  12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #12
    The only updates to MBP's that would be logical before or at Leopard would be LED 17 inch models...if not that, they won't be updated till at least January. Safe to buy now if you want 15 inch.
     
  13. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #13
    Well an option for that is to be a MacBook now and then sell it and move up to a MacBook Pro later.

    The thing about MacBook Pros is they really depreciate quite a lot in absolute dollar terms. As soon as you buy the top $2499 model you pretty much lose $500 right then and there, because refurbs for the top model go for ~ $1999.

    That is half the price of a MacBook to piss away folks!

    On the other hand MacBooks hold their value fairly well and you will not lose so much if all you are after is an interim "hold out" machine.
     
  14. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #14
    That seems pointless. The OP's computer is still working ok. Since he does't need it now, he can wait until after Leopard. Unless he desperately needs to get a Mac fix now, waiting will be better for him. The cost of buying a mb now, selling it later, and then buying a mbp is more than just waiting a few more months and then buying a mbp.
     
  15. robrose20 macrumors 6502

    robrose20

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #15
    If you need it, buy it. If you always wait for the next model you will never get one. The reality is that about every six months or so there is a new model with better specs. I just got the Santa Rosa MBP and couldn't be happier. It is a speed demon, and the screen is beautiful. I still have a powermac G4 as my desktop which works just fine.
     
  16. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #16
    I'll probably end up getting a MBP SR just because, quite frankly, I want a MAC fix right now. After watching the WWDC keynote I'm in awe. From what I've read so far its not too likely that Apple will release a new MBP 15" when they release Leopard, so why wait?
     
  17. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #17
    Anymore opinions this morning? I'm contemplating going to the Apple store this evening when I get off work! :eek:
     
  18. yudilks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #18
    It's 2 centuries I suppose...
     
  19. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #19
    The first 45nm processors from intel are due for release in 2007..right?

    "A refresh of the Santa Rosa platform scheduled for release in late 2007[8] will upgrade Centrino to the 45nm Penryn Processor."

    (from the centrino wikipedia page)
     
  20. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #20
    Interesting masse... very interesting. But that means more waiting for something that "MAY" happen. I hate the uncertainity.:(
     
  21. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #21
    To me it seems like January for Macworld would be a fairly likely time for updates (aside from very, very minor changes, like possibly LED on the 17").
     
  22. pcmike thread starter macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #22
    So should I go get one tonight or wait until Janurary?
     
  23. mbp657 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #23
    Go get one tonight... You will keep waiting and waiting if you don't get one...
     
  24. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #24
    I would get one now. There will always be something newer every few months, but if you wait then you will never buy one. I try to time things where I buy during radical improvements such as the new LED screens and the better dx10 nvidia gpu. I feel good about my purchase even though I know it will only be a matter of months till there is something better available. But that doesn't make mine and less in value to me. Anyway good luck.
     
  25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #25
    If you waited until Januaryish, then there's no reason not to wait until the following fall, and then the spring, and then...

    Now's a great time to buy since they were just updated, and it's a very solid update (pretty much the best CPU and GPU you can do at the moment, new backlighting, etc.)
     

Share This Page