Possible new metal iPhone 4 Case, what do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mint, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Mint macrumors newbie

What do you guys think, as far as looks are concerned?

These are just renderings... hopefully we'll see actual pictures in the near future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joe52985 macrumors newbie

Anodized colors, less than $40. You will make out like a bandit

3. boddiz macrumors newbie

4. Mint thread starter macrumors newbie

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Looks like the vapour, but I'd still like to see some actual pics to make up my mind.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I like like overall styling and idea. But, do the volume buttons really stick out that far? The sleep/wake button looks hard to press. The headphone port looks like it doesn't have enough clearance for wider plugs. And I'm not sure what that hole is on the very top left of the case in the first picture.

Size-wise it looks good. Maybe a bit thinner at the top (and bottom for symmetry) for more access to the sleep/wake button.

Getting it on looks extremely difficult without making it two pieces and the inside has to be lined with something so that won't scratch/etch the glass.

If you released this product as is, I probably would still buy it in maybe a beep blue or high gloss black to match the screen.

7. threezero macrumors 6502

look cool so far. but so did the vapour until it actually got release and people start having problem.

Please address the signal problem, prehaps line the inside of the bumper. The lip looks goo so far. Make sure the port cover is large enough to fit most aftermarket cables.

Make it reasonably price

respond to your customer even if that mean sacrificing your personal life and sleep.

Than you pretty much get alot customer from elements case seeing as ur case will address all of vapor problem without looking hidous and WITHOUT HAVE A LOGO!

anyways you have my attention

8. Mint thread starter macrumors newbie

This exact version is just a test version i designed for a 3D printer that prints in ABS plastic. (I plan to eliminate any issues with prototypes before I release an actual production model)
    I should have the first prototype here in a week

So for things like the volume buttons, access ports etc, they're currently designed with high tolerances because of the low resolutions of 3D printing -- but thats just for prototypes.

Holes on the top left and in other pictures are to mount the case (it's separated into two pieces like the vapor)

Sleep/awake button and volume buttons may change on production depending on how much machining costs. But this current design has a pretty aggressive sloped sleep awake cutout so pushing it shouldn't be a problem, but again, this is what prototypes are for.

The headphone jack is designed to have have PLENTY of clearance, these renderings might just not show it, I can't get into details with dimensions but expect videos demonstrating things like this eventually and it will feature shock absorption.

9. yezza macrumors regular

I'm interested to see where you end up with this, so please keep us posted.

Here's my take on it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=992664

If you notice the silicone "grips" on either side of my case design, you could possibly counter any signal issues by machining holes through the aluminium in these areas - the grips would then cover them.

10. barachus macrumors regular

really nice, but how do you get the phone into it if its just one piece? metal wont flex like silicon or plastic, might be a good idea to make a button for top as that recess looks a bit deep

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

I see no reason to make a case out of metal. Other materials should absorb shock much better.

Regardless of material I'm not a fan. I don't like the form, the corners stick out too much from the cutout parts. The top button looks like it would be difficult to use with the case in the way and the same goes for the mute switch.

12. Mint thread starter macrumors newbie

It's separated into two pieces

13. MagnusF macrumors regular

Then you should show that in the render

14. Mint thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice work you got there! Specially good work on your iPhone 4 model.

15. smokedog macrumors regular

Too much of a carbon copy of the Vapour case for my liking. Why not try and change the design of the side grips or redesign the corners to reduce bulk.

16. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Oh no, here we go again. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I would also warn people that 3rd party connectors and chargers may not work with the narrow style bottom of these type of cases.

17. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

i like it, just keep the costs below 40$ for it and it will sell for sure.

Also, since its metal...should we be worried about the antenna? or planning on doing something inside so the metal band doesnt come into contact with the metal from the case?

I know thats a issue with people and their element case....not only that...but 80$ for that thing...100$ if you decide on the back portion. :eek::eek:

I paid less to get my Iphone 4......im serious.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If it's metal, it will degrade signal and you won't make any money from it.

Try a hard plastic or wood.

19. nolesfan macrumors regular

I personally think it's better looking than the element case. If you can get the bugs worked out with signal, wifi and gps and of course the buttons, I would buy it in a second. Looks good, keep pushing forward and if you need a test dummy just let me know. I am in Kansas, so my signal fluctuates bad. I think these manufactures should be testing these cases in several regions, not just the same place because we all don't get great reception. Let me know if you need some testing around these parts. If it works out I would be more than happy to pay for it or even offer advice. I have a masters in computer science and I think I could even get the element case working with a little time and a few modifications. But like I said, looks good so far. Don't worry about stuff others are saying, I honestly think your case is better looking than the element . Good luck!

20. SR Steve macrumors member

+1

One thing I've yet to see in any of the metal prototypes is a two-part system along the lines of a slider case, rather than the asymetrical side-piece attachment.

What about designing the closing segment of the case at the bottom for a cleaner look?

21. lvyelion macrumors member

I'm sure this will block the GPS signal, also the cutouts for the buttons are too deep

22. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

Vapor knock off...you might succeed if you can fix it's shortcomings.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Vapor knock or not. If can make this the way "other" companies tried to make it AND make it around $40-$50 bucks, you'll have a winner. Make an option for a back insert embedded in the case frame, plenty of colors and actually deliver the items on time :)

24. Flyfunner5 macrumors member

Flyfunner5

omg this case is awesome. If you made it, i'd buy 2 or 3. But would it be possible to have the design where it's 2 pieces put together. And make it have an integrated back plate and I love the integrated volume buttons. Exactly what I was looking for. Also a lay on table design would be nice.