Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firey3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi,

I recently got my 3.2ghz mid 2010 21.5' imac. I noticed that its been getting really really hot on the top on the top left and right corners of the computer. Usually i am watching tv series (.avi) files on it using quicktime and vlc and i checked the temps reaching these as follows
HD 54
CPU A 50
GPU diode 71
GPU heat sink 68
memory 58
optical 51

and the fans are at
CPU fan 1470 rpm
HD 1099
optical 1000

are these temps okay ? or is htemachine over heating for the activities i am doing, usually i amjust msning, and watching tv series

Thanks!

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

I recently got my 3.2ghz mid 2010 21.5' imac. I noticed that its been getting really really hot on the top on the top left and right corners of the computer. Usually i am watching tv series (.avi) files on it using quicktime and vlc and i checked the temps reaching these as follows
HD 54
CPU A 50
GPU diode 71
GPU heat sink 68
memory 58
optical 51

and the fans are at
CPU fan 1470 rpm
HD 1099
optical 1000

are these temps okay ? or is htemachine over heating for the activities i am doing, usually i amjust msning, and watching tv series

Thanks!

You do know that since these iMacs are made of aluminum they will (and should) get hot? This is because aluminum conducts heat in a different way to plastic. Anyway, here are my temps (I have one Firefox-window open and Spotify is playing a song):

HD 47
CPU A 53
GPU diode 57
GPU heat sink 54
memory 52
optical 41

firey3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
so do u think those temps are normal for me watching a tv show using vlc?

it felt really hot! thanks!

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The aluminium iMac's act like giant heatsinks - especially with the components in such an enclosed space. And since heat rises, its no surprise that they feel hot to touch - therefore, stop touching your iMac :p I know it looks all pretty and stuff but you don't want to burn yourself ;)

pt0016

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Definitely normal. The CPU fan's RPM is also higher than idle, showing that the system acknowledges that the temps are running hotter, and is cooling the machine down. Don't worry, and enjoy your new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.