possible partial-payment online with apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdwsta4, Aug 23, 2007.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

another question i had has to do with the no payments for 90-days that apple's offering. if i wanted to pay $1200 toward the cost of a new computer, then pay the additional $1000 next month (or in the next 90 days), are you allowed to make a partial payment online so you're only billed for the lesser amount?
    do they offer the 90-days no payment option at the physical stores?

2. reallybigafro macrumors member

Sorry, I don't have an answer for ya, but that is a very good question!!

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I have a question thats kind of on the subject but may wander off on a new tangent by the time I'm done :rolleyes:. So if anyone can answer that'd be great.

Does this partial payment plan have anything to do with Apple's Jupiter credit card? If not, this is the sort of thing I'm interested in. I have my money all set aside and a credit card with a credit much too low to put a BlackBook on (I only got the card a few months ago (my first, which is why Bank of America doesn't feel like extending my any more credit than I have) ). I had been planning on buying 4 $450 gift cards (one at a time) with my credit card and paying the balance off in between purchases, but I may have ran out of time to get that done before the College promotion ends.

I suppose that paying by money order also works for Apple, but I don't want to wait the extra time for them to receive it before they ship which is why I'd like to pay online.
    Any ideas? Or does Apple have an online installment plan like the OP was talking about? I'd do the research myself but I'm stretched in too many directions today ;).

Thanks for any advice. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread...

** Edit: I just saw in the previous post that Apple probably won't do financing, so I withdraw the financing question. I'd still like advice if anyone has any to give **

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

6. jbh001 macrumors member

I've never run across a "no payments for 90 days" offer that prohibited pre-payments. In other words, if you sign up for the "90-day" offer, that means no payments are required for 90 days, not that no payments are allowed for 90 days.

How these offers usually work is that although no payment is required for 90 days, interest still accrues on the balance during that time and gets added to the balance after the 90 days are up, unless the balance is paid off before the 90 days are up.

Sometimes these offers are called "90 days same as cash" meaning that if you pay off the balance within 90 days, it the same as if you had paid the whole balance in cash up front. If not, it becomes as though it were a credit purchase from day one.

Read the fine print to be sure, and watch out for any "gotchas".

7. writeous macrumors regular

I tried to apply for the "Bill Me Later" option, which is what I believe your talking about with the no payment for 90 days, but I was denied due to my low credit rating. They say you need to have a credit score of 750 or higher to get it. From what I've read, Bill Me Later basically pays for the purchase for you, and if you pay off the total ammount of what you owe within the 90 days, you dont have to pay anything extra. But if you go beyond that 90 days, they start adding interest, like a credit card would. Hope this helps.