Possible phishing scam for iPhone 5 activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAir47, May 20, 2013.

1. MacAir47, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

MacAir47 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 5 from the online Apple Store last Friday. It's supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow. Last night, I received an email from the Apple Store that there is a problem on activating my iPhone before it arrives. It states that there is a problem with Verizon Wireless account, and I need to call a toll free number to resolve it. I called the number and I spoke with man with a thick Indian accent who asked for the Activation ID.

I gave him the Activation ID number, and I could not find it and I got disconnected. I am very weary in calling back because I think this might be a phishing scam or something.

I did call the Apple Store customer service about this email, and the representative never heard of this before. He asked several people to see if they heard of this type of email, but no one did. He asked me about the toll free number, so he can call it to see what the place does for business. He talked to the same person I did, and he was told that the person is a third party contractor for AT&T and Verizon Wireless to resolve these types of problems.

The representative said that it might be prudent not call back on that toll free number since it might be scam or something. He also said to call back Apple or Verizon Wireless to activate my iPhone 5.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone think this a phishing scam or something else entirely? I am getting a bad feeling about this since the copyright date in the email says 2009. I hope someone can help in this matter.

David

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Sounds like a scam to me.
    I've had a few people call my house, all with thick Indian accents and having loud noise in the background, telling me my computer has a virus or that I need to speed it up or some crap. I guess in the "post-PC" era they are targeting phones now.
    Never trust third party representatives unless you can confirm that they are legit.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's probably not a scam, but I wouldn't call back. When you get your phone tomorrow give Verizon a call directly. They should be able to straighten it all out. :apple:

4. MacAir47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Verizon Wireless today, and the representative told me my account has no issues. As a result, I believe that email I received is a total lie and a scam. I would like to know how these scammers got my email address after I purchased my iPhone 5?

Once I get my iPhone 5 tomorrow, I will call Verizon again to activate my phone for 4G LTE. Thanks for everyone's replies to my issue.

David

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

:confused:

6. MacAir47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that he could not find any information about me with that activation id number I gave him, and then I got disconnected.