Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
Hey all-

i was in the downtown chicago apple store yesterday and a genius said there is going to be a patch, or bridge available from adobe in march that optimises photoshop CS2 for the rosetta program. He said it will be a program, or a patch that will speed up photoshop more, as a sort of bridge for the users on intel machines.

Has anybody heard any of this???

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003

I wouldn't hold my breath especially considering the news from Adobe itself regarding the timeframe for the switch.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It is true that Adobe said they would be looking into the performance of their PowerPC applications under Rosetta. They didn't really say what they intended to do about it, but the possibility of some sort of interim patch makes more sense than looking into it for no reason at all.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
iMeowbot said:
It is true that Adobe said they would be looking into the performance of their PowerPC applications under Rosetta. They didn't really say what they intended to do about it, but the possibility of some sort of interim patch makes more sense than looking into it for no reason at all.

True. I can't see SJ accepting the news from Adobe that well and he is certainly not shy in expressing his opinion. From what I've read and learned of Mr. J he would have applied any pressure he could to Adobe and maybe even used a little bluff.

Anyway, back to the main topic. I have used PS under Rosetta and it is faster than my PB - so I'm happy. Any speed imporvements from Adobe would be hugely appreciated but I wish they'd confirm it.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
It only makes sense that they would release a patch inmproving performance where they can. It should be an easy fix unitl they can come out with a Native Intel Version

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It would seem reasonable but there has to be more done to make it work than in previous versions. Bytes are ordered differently on 680x0/PPC and Intel--actually anything else in the world and Intel 8080/80x86.

The most they can do is improve performance for PPC machines so that it improves performance under Rosetta. I doubt the current plug-in architecture will do anything, even though that's the way they've changed things in the past.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10 KB · Views: 120

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
It is possible, because if you remember they did offer a free patch to G5 owners when the G5 came out to take advantage of the new processor. I don't know if it did much, but they did have a patch.

Does anyone know if it really helped a lot, or was it just a gimmick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.