Possible Powerbook G4 Upgrades?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KSource, Apr 4, 2008.

1. KSource macrumors member

I am opening my Powerbook up to change out the HDD as the current one died I believe. Any other upgrades I can do?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

To be honest, there's very little you can upgrade in a notebook. But do yourself a favour, make sure your new hard-disk ain't a Serial-ATA, cause it'll never fit!! Instead buy a PATA/IDE version...

Oh, having said that.. did you know that Western Digital make a very nice 250Gb IDE drive which you can install into your PowerBook?

FYI:
    Western Digital Scorpio®
    Model: WD2500BEVE
    2.5-inch EIDE Hard Drives
    250 GB, 100 MB/s, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=346&language=en

;)

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hmmm... would a MacBook Pro be out of the question?

4. KSource thread starter macrumors member

I actually ended up getting the WD1600BEVE I believe, that was on sale at Dell haha. The sale is what edged me on to finally fix my laptop (which has been dead for a good many months)

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

6. dbwie macrumors 6502

upgrades

Possible internal upgrades: RAM, hard drive, airport wireless card.

I have a Powerbook G4 550 Mhz. There are many external upgrades that have expanded the capability of my laptop:

The USB 1.1 ports made syncing with an iPod unbearably slow. Solved this problem with a Belkin USB 2.0 PCMCIA card. Perhaps the most important upgrade I have done with this Powerbook.

Lots of external upgrade options (not all are readily available):

bluetooth USB dongle
    targus coolpad with built-in powered 4 port USB hub (which attaches to the PCMCIA card)
    external iSight camera
    external Acer 22" LCD display connected to laptops VGA port

All of these upgrades have made my laptop much more than what I originally purchased.