Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hey

I just got this from a guy at my local mac user group (ymug.org) I am not actually sure if it is right but it looks quite real, unless spymac is right :)

New enclosures. New processors - still G4, I'm afraid, but running at about 1.5GHz with the possibility of 2Gb of DDR memory. Also making it's debut is a 100MHz ATA controller.

Let me know what you think,

Ensign

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
OK, looks good.........

I still have a couple of things from my wishlist to add though:

FW2

a 133DDR (266) Bus controller with 64 bit PCI.

better ease of use in Drive addition.

round drive cables.

a 256MB DDR Double- GPU AGP video card with ADC and VGI.

Digital multichannel sound via digital outputs.

Onboard midi card option.

Optional internal broadband modem(s).

I'll put down the Bong now.............:D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Macmaniac
If he is right that is freakin awsome! that is a %150 increase! That would be incredible! Man I would love to have one of those.
150%? Don't u mean 50%, a 150% increase would be 2.5Ghz wouldn't it (with the current max speed at 1Ghz)?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: OK, looks good.........

Originally posted by mischief
I still have a couple of things from my wishlist to add though:

FW2

a 133DDR (266) Bus controller with 64 bit PCI.

better ease of use in Drive addition.

round drive cables.

a 256MB DDR Double- GPU AGP video card with ADC and VGI.

Digital multichannel sound via digital outputs.

Onboard midi card option.

Optional internal broadband modem(s).

I'll put down the Bong now.............:D

ah man....give me some of what you got! I wish I could get my mac with that....and for around $4000 aww man...

As for the possible specs above(not mischief's)...could happen, depends on Moto more then Apple I think. The technology is there...And I'm buying a new tower when they're released so for my sake I sure hope this is correct!

palala

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2002
Long Island
Math

OK, I hate math, but 150% is kinda right if you say that it is 150% of the current 1Ghz, not 150% more than the current 1Ghz. Basically, 100% of the current top machine (1000 Mhz) would be 1000 Mhz. 75% would be 750 Mhz, and 150% would be 1500 Mhz. You could say this is a 50% increase over the current 1000 Mhz machine, but the former is more commonly accepted when referring to performance increase.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by Ensign Paris

Let me know what you think,

An unprecedented increase in power. Imagine a dual 1.5 GHz, now that would be cool.

I want to see the new enclosure though, I wonder if that will leak before the show?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by dukestreet

An unprecedented increase in power. Imagine a dual 1.5 GHz, now that would be cool.

I want to see the new enclosure though, I wonder if that will leak before the show?

I too want a new enclosure, but I dont want to see it before Steve gives it to us. I kinda wish I hadnt seen the new iMac before the expo...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
New enclosures. New processors - still G4, I'm afraid, but running at about 1.5GHz with the possibility of 2Gb of DDR memory. Also making it's debut is a 100MHz ATA controller.

100MHz ATA??? 100MB ATA you mean...

I would like to see the new enclosure as well as the 2GB (big b please, not small) of DDR memory. That would also mean that they have gone back to the 4 memory slots (they have three now).

The truely heated debate will be over the top processor speed... Personally, I would like to see the 1.5GHz in sp, and in dp (or a 1.4dp). Remember back when Apple has the dual 800 and single 867??? I would like to see a return of that... but then that's just me here. :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by dukestreet

I think a single 1.5 Ghz would be an amazement...

I'm wondering about the casing myself though....what will they come up with?? :confused:

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Re: Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by eyelikeart

I think a single 1.5 Ghz would be an amazement...

I'm wondering about the casing myself though....what will they come up with?? :confused:

I wonder if it will be the same size...

I'd like to see a big semi-transparent Apple logo on the front that glows like the power button does now. that'd be so neat when the computer was sleeping...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by teabgs

I wonder if it will be the same size...

I'd like to see a big semi-transparent Apple logo on the front that glows like the power button does now. that'd be so neat when the computer was sleeping...

I hope it is the same size... I seriously doubt that they could reduce the size of the motherboard, which is most of what is dictating the size of the case. I would like to see them use more of a metallic feel or metal case instead of the plastics that they use now. A more industrial look would be cool.

Who knows what they will be showing us come MWNY, but a lot of people will be watching, that much is certain.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: Re: Re: Possible Powermac Spec

Originally posted by eyelikeart

Perhaps something like this? I know, it's been shown before, and says 'G5', but i really like that case design. Something like that would be in keeping with the inceasingly 'industrial' look apple's professional line is taking.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA

Originally posted by britboy

Perhaps something like this? I know, it's been shown before, and says 'G5', but i really like that case design. Something like that would be in keeping with the inceasingly 'industrial' look apple's professional line is taking.

I like the way that looks...but it seems to be lacking cosmetically for expandability...

I think we'll see some spy photos circling around when MWNY comes closer...

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township

Originally posted by britboy

Yuck!
What an ulgy enclosure. I think that the new "G5" PowerMac should be redesigned from the ground up to be designed perfectly to work with the user just like the New iMac.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Man those would be some rele kik @$$ specs. I assume taht this 1.5 Ghz G4 still is on the same micron process and has the same arquetecture. And yes, it is a 50% increase, not 150%. But, i would prefer a 150% increase, hands down! :p

Nice to have some semi realistic specs.

Keep it real!!!
~Bust

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Hey brit,
I like that new design. Sweet looking metallic look. I also like the slot loading superdrive (i assume), but I have a question: Whats the second slot for?? I dont think it rele matters what it is (cuz the current G4s have what looks like two drive bays to the untrained eye.) , but I still wanna know cuz I noticed it.

~Bust

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
No... 100Mhz

Originally posted by AlphaTech

100MHz ATA??? 100MB ATA you mean...

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, since you generally always know what you're talking about... But he means 100Mhz ATA. Feel free to crush me if this post was pointless :p

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
What about the Xserve case??

Apple's servers have matched the look of the powermacs for quite some time now.

They've somehow managed to fit the same amount of gear and then some into the Xserver.

I think the new macs will resemble this casing in some way. Though it may be vertical and a bit larger to accomodate more pci expansion.

It may even come with the slider drives (definitly hope the G5 will) which in my area (music/film sound) would really be cool. Especially for the many people who want to get de-scsi'd. The price for their slider 's are a bit on the high side though, considering I could get the same thing, with firewire for about $350. If and when (hopefully when) they bring this technology to the desktop mac, I'd imagine they'd drop the price a bit. Or not.

But at the same time. Seeing as this looks like the last G4 revision, they might choose to keep the cases similar (adding a bit of metal though) and then blow us away with the G5 case.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
1500MHz not that far off....

The new G4s are rumored to sport 12 pipelines rather than 7, and a new .13 micron processing method. This could allow processors to scale up to roughly 2.2GHz with a little flawed math:

7 pipeline stages and .18 microns: 1000MHz Max (or close to it)
12 pipeline stages and .13 microns: 1.6-2.2GHz Max (mostly speculative)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I'd like to see midi in/out as a BTO option, replacing the modem.

I'd also like to see a case design that's more sleek and iBook like with cooling designed as part of the enclosure so it runs as quietly as posible.

Other than that, DDR, ATA100, eject buttons, 2nd 5 1/4" drive bay and audio inputs are all I'm waiting for, clock speed could be 1.2 - 1.5Ghz maximum, I'm not going to be able to afford a new mac till early next year anyway but whatever mid range G4 tower configuration apple release in july could be my next mac if I get a good "End of life" deal in around february on whatever apple bring out in a month or so.

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
Originally posted by rice_web
1500MHz not that far off....

The new G4s are rumored to sport 12 pipelines rather than 7, and a new .13 micron processing method. This could allow processors to scale up to roughly 2.2GHz with a little flawed math:

7 pipeline stages and .18 microns: 1000MHz Max (or close to it)
12 pipeline stages and .13 microns: 1.6-2.2GHz Max (mostly speculative)

Actually that would sort of stink, unless they can get some REALLY incredible real world compilers, they are going to have MHz myth in their own line. Pipelines are a major reason why a lesser clocked G4 can still play with the incredibly clocked x86 processors. It is a lot more complicated than that, but without other improvements, I don't see that as being benificial...

I agree though, having built in MIDI and digital audio I/O would be sweet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.