Possible problems with my Penryn MBP display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArkabaS, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hi everyone,

I just received my second Penryn MBP after returning the first one (bad graphics card, http://picasaweb.google.com/ArkabaS/BrokenMBP). I am a litte worried because the screen on this one is noticably dimmer plus I think I may have a few dead pixels.

Is it possible that the screen is dimmer or is it in my mind? With my first MBP, maximum brightness was crazy, nearly unusable and oversaturated. I had to use middle settings. On this one, I am comfortable with 1 from maximum. Definitely dimmer. I guess I can live with it, but since LCD screens naturally get dimmer with time I am afraid of what this will look like in a few years. Is this normal? Could the ColorSync profile be different out of the box?

Also, are these dead pixels, http://picasaweb.google.com/ArkabaS/PossiblyBrokenMBP? I thought that it was dust or dirt at first, but cleaning does nothing. It looks like a short gray horizontal line. After first noticing this I can't stop staring at it. It's especially bad against a white backdrop. If these are dead pixels, can I do anything to fix it? I tried the Pixel Fix widget for maybe 30 seconds but it did nothing.

2. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

What you have there , from the pics, is ONE dead pixel, and two LEAKING pixels. Looks like another return for you. Those leakers will only get worse. Welcome to the club...

3. PDE macrumors 68020

When I compared the different LCD models Apple uses, I was surprised to discover that they have different specifications. One was 330 nits with 700:1 contrast, while another was 300 nits with 500:1 contrast. That means that, yes, your new one could be less bright. How is it otherwise? Good, even illumination? No yellowing? If yes, I wouldn't worry about it as brightness is just one part of a good quality LCD. Also, these LED-backlit LCDs will not get dimmer as quickly at all so there's no need to worry.

4. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Misinformation... they will not get dimmer at all. They just die.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

they won't get dimmer.
    that will be the same brightness up to the time the MBP or the MBP owner dies.
    which ever comes first!:D
    compared to the CCFL LCDs used in previous generations

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Thanks for the correction. The bottom line is the same though: no need to worry about it. But it seems like the OP has other things to worry about....

7. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I did not mean that to come out rude. just have heard that several times.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

Oh, no problem at all. I didn't realize that they just suddenly stop working, rather than gradually fade. I thought that they'd fade but at a much slower rate. Learning something new is never a bad thing, especially when, like this, it's something positive!

9. ArkabaS thread starter macrumors member

ArkabaS

Illumination appears normal. I used the yellow LED test image and, from what I can tell, no yellowing.

How can I find out which screen I have? What model numbers are good/bad? I really would like some evidence that this monitor is inferior.

About the 'leaking' pixel issue, is my best bet to go to an Apple store to get this checked out?

Oh brother, I'm really starting to get a bad feeling about this whole MBP thing. My old iBook, while slow and not very cool, has never had any problems whatsoever, and it cost ~$500 less.