Possible reason for new dock connectors!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bheleu, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Outside of the lower profile, betting it is capable of higher charge rates needed for upcoming power hungry devices (remember you heard it here first, had an epiphany this morning). This alone is the only thing that makes sense if you think about it, why throw away this much compatibility unless there is a hard requirement that must be met. This is typically Apple fashion with smoke and mirrors telling you it makes it skinnier, etc. as opposed to telling you it is a power hog (less environmental).

Opinions? Too much B12 or not enough...

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Clearly the existing shaped connected could be upgraded to that if necessary. It's a size issue.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i think it's 75% for faster charge rates and 25% for slimming the connector size down.

good post!

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

betting it is capable of higher charge rates

Higher/faster charge rates are always possible but not desired. Faster charging produces heat which lessens the life of the battery. This is well known. I have used rechargeable batteries for years and those with 'fast charges make the battery very hot and those batteries required replacement much quicker unlike slower trickle chargers which take hours longer but have the batteries last longer (more recharge cycles). To that end it is easy just to have many batteries so when one is in the charger another set can be in use. When a battery is fixed inside, like a laptop or phone, you want long battery life so bigger battery, efficient processors, and slower charging is what is called for - at least at the moment. Who knows what next generation batteries will bring.

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Actually, this is directly opposite of how electronics work.

Connectors have specifications as to their maximum voltage capacity, maximum current capacity, dialectric properties, etc., and just by the laws of physics, smaller connectors = lower current/voltage handling capabilities.

as dI/dT goes up, connectors need higher surge current capacity, meaning larger pins and more space between pins.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Remember there are fewer pins, larger pads and greater spacing in the new connector style.

7. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

The MFi documentation doesn't list the new connector yet, so I can't verify, but just looking at the leaked pictures, it sure looks like there's a finer pin pitch on the new connector.

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

can you explain to me how fewer pins means it charges faster?
    i dont know much about electrical engineering but i would think in order to change how fast it charges they would need to change the milliamps per load. So they'd have to change the device technology all together not just the connector? i.e usb 2.0 supports 100ma per load, and 3.0 supports 150ma.

I really hope it does charge faster, but if it works the way i think it does, People wouldnt be able to charge their devices on a normal USB outlet? Or Sync their phones unless they had a usb 3.0 (or whatever it was changed too)
    USB 1/2 i think only supports 100mA ?
    IDK just thinking.. correct me if i am way off?

9. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

USB 1.0 and 2.0 support up to a maximum of 500mA, 3.0 up to 900mA.

This is for the USB spec itself, i.e. connected to a computer that meets the USB standard specification.

Dedicated chargers that charge via USB can go as high as 5A.

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

the fact it takes 6+ hours to charge is reason enough to change the dock connectors

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

cool didnt know that thanks.

Am i wrong to think that the doc connector being changed to smaller pins will not change charge times? i honestly dont know much about this, so hoping someone with the background would know

12. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

No, you are correct. Smaller pins would have less current capacity.

I haven't seen the official Apple specifications for the connector yet, but I doubt the pins in the new connector will be small enough to do anything to decrease capacity down below what is currently being used, so charge times will most likely stay the same as they are.

Certainly not be increased beyond the capacity of the currently used connector, though.

13. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

14. anonymouslurker, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

anonymouslurker macrumors regular

It's not. Pictures show pins only on one side of the connector.

Edit: Assuming you meant symmetrical as in being able to plug it in right-side-up or upside-down.

15. djjclark macrumors regular

With the current size wires, pins, and traces they have limited ways to decrease charging time - smaller battery or higher voltage. Doubt either will happen. With the old connecter they could have doubled up the power lines but doubt there is any to spare on the new one.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I don't see a need for quicker charging. The design change was needed for a lot of reasons. Charge times was not one of them

17. dchao macrumors 6502a

5A down the thin USB cable is going to warm it up quite nicely, and making it very dangerous.

The only sensible way is to raise the charging voltage to above 5V. That is why all laptop chargers use 9V+ (12V or 19V)