Possible reason why Europe release was after America

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mithykal, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mithykal macrumors regular

In America there is a 2 year contract, where as in Europe there is going to be an 18 month contract, and due to the delay between the two launches the early adopters contracts in both Europe and America should end at about the same time.
    Possibly so that there contracts end in time for the release of the iPhone 2, 2 years after it was first launched, sounds feasable to me.
    I mean the current iPhone wont get majorly out of date as far as software is concerned, as software can be updated. But hardware wise it will, so in a years time they may release iPhone 1.5, with bigger storage, but iPhone 2 will be different.
    Just an idea.
    :eek:

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Good theory but the German announcement says you need a 2 year service agreement with T-Mobile?

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not to mention that Steve Jobs himself said in London last week that the 3G iPhone will be coming in 2008.

4. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

are you sure he actually said there would be a 3G iPhone?

from reading the transcript he said "thats something we'll see in the future" i.e: a 3G chipset that isnt a huge battery drain. not necessarily meaning a 3G iPhone.

5. mithykal thread starter macrumors regular

Ah really? I only saw UK and French announcements, there goes that idea lol :p

6. mithykal thread starter macrumors regular

No he didnt, I watched the press conference online :confused:

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I hear what you say, but read paragraph 4 of the report posted by Cnet (link below):

Quote:'If you were waiting for a 3G iPhone, unfortunately you're going to have to keep on waiting -- Jobs says we'll see it "later next year".'

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49292809-1,00.htm

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I've been meaning to ask, what is 3G? How does it differ from Edge?

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Steve was talking about the problem with 3G and battery life. He said he did not think the problem would be resolved until LATE 2008. Therefore, he was saying the 3G phone would come after that. That could easily be 2009. However, if the problem was resolved before he expects then I would assume that it could come sooner. But he was pretty clear that he did not want to provide an iPhone with poor battery life.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

A year is a very long time in the world of technology.

I just can't help thinking that the 3G iPhone will be with us a lot sooner than many people think. My guess: March 2008.

Time will tell.

12. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Its a lot faster and can support video calling.

13. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Ah, okay. I get it now. Thanks.

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

So to the OP.

I'm sorry, but I would have to say that it's because Jobs is AMERICAN. Apple is American, and most of the content on iTunes is AMERICAN. Why would they launch in the EU based on cell phone contracts....?

No EU conspiracy here. They do as all consumer electronics do. Release a couple of markets at a time, so that the supply chain can keep up. Something almost all production managers can attest to.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

dammit you all .. jobs said we may see it LATE NEXT YEAR .. that doesnt mean early next year. thestreet has no idea .. they can only speculate.

jobs wont say late next year and then surprise us all in january with it. the europeans will kill him.

16. skoops macrumors regular

And also...

When you guys mention europe you almost always think of the UK - not everyone in europe lives in the UK - and the minimum cell phone contracts in EUROPE range from 0 to 24 months - 18 months is UK and maybe some other country. Here in Austria it's somewhere between 12 and 24 months.

17. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

18. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Somebody sounds like they really don't want to see a 3g iphone anytime soon. Maybe because you already bought one with EDGE :rolleyes:. Sorry to say, technology moves very fast, and not everything jobs says is history when he says it. We're still waiting for leopard aren't we? He said the battery life wasn't up to par yet. What if there are advancements in the next couple of months? You never know... so don't get angry when we speculate and look forward to progress. The sooner the better! :)

19. anubis macrumors 6502a

OR it could be for the same reason the iTunes music store was operating in America WAY before it was in Europe: 3rd party contracts that Apple doesn't really have much control over.