Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Check out this new 2.4-inch screen capable of VGA resolution through subpixel rendering.

That's a lot of pixels in there! but it is a logical choice for a movie playing device - I'll bet that this will show up in a lot of upcoming digital movie devices, if not possibly the iPod itself.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Sub-pixel rendering, eh? Sub-pixel rendering. Hmmm... Why, Le Fou, what I wouldn't give to have one of those!

//*goes into Beauty and the Beast song-and-dance.*

Bring on MWSF!
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'd say we won't see a new video iPod for months yet, but in my opinion wide-aspect screens like this one are the best solution for video playback on a device like the iPod.

Just one day away....can't you hear the RDF charging up in Cupertino?:D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Seems more like a pocket pc type screen. Who needs VGA resolution on a music player?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
ITASOR said:
Hmm yeah I guess, but QVGA seems acceptable for that (and much cheaper).

Maybe, but I think the next video iPod will sport a bigger screen. Steve has been cautious about adding features to the iPod but I think we will see a shift towards video content as the new "killer app" of digital media devices. The Nano will continue to focus on music, with increased capacity in the future, while the "big" iPod will become a movie player that also does music.

At any rate that seems to be where market pressure is leaning.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Just watch. Once flash memory gets to really big sizes, the Nano will be the iPod, and the current iPod will branch off to become a video iPod, with the ability to lose the current form factor and sport a much larger PSP-esque screen.

I also now want an iPod Reader, just like the Sony one that was announced, with easy integration with the iTMS for eBook downloads, and an iTunes-like app for managing my PDFs, txts, rtfs etc for syncing with the Reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.