Possible Skype app in the future?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ryuukumori, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

With the mic feature in the iPod Touch, is it possible there could be a Skype app coming soon? I would use this to talk to my friends in Japan.

2. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if it's even possible, despite the possibility of interfering with the iPhone using WiFi calling, but I don't see how it would be a problem if Apple intentionally added a mic in the Touch.

3. rupie94 macrumors member

Well I don't see the use of it for apple, why won't they just let people buy the iPhone, because it's more expensive. But it would be rather cool, and on the other side stupid, because I don't have no 2nd gen iPod Touch :(, only the first.

4. rock.ponting macrumors newbie

I believe Skype for the iPod Touch is still a bit away, unless the software developers who added Skype functionality for the iPhone port it over and adapt it specifically for the Touch.

Fring released a client for the iPhone, don't know if it will work on the iPod Touch, tough.

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

There is a definite hardware connection on the 2G Touch for the mic on the new headphones. Nothing I could find states any use for this, yet.

If there is a way to record voices on the 2G, thus get the voice into the Touch, then there is a way to make Skype work with headphones w/mic.

The moment I see an app that can utilize the microphone will be the moment I can answer your question, and the answer will be - YES.

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I assume this program needs jail breaking.

It's all coming soon on Apple's site. Once the speaker headphones are released I would bet Apple opens up its own little voip system for bux. If not they are foolish.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

There are, and you responded to this 4-Page thread on the subject of the mic in the iPod touch already.

Two applications support it

Palringo Limited (however there are some security concerns about this application, see comments on the iTunes Music store)

MovingApps.com Spectrum

[​IMG]

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

You know, you're right- there were security concerns about Palringo.

However, there is no way it can do anything to the rest of your iPod, and since it only needs an email and password to sign up for a palringo account (use a fake email, that's what I did) there is no risk (you don't need to give them personal info to sign up). :)