Possible Sleep Magnet Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Oct 21, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Alright so I Have a mid 2007 macbook pro, and when I Am using it, it can goto sleep randomly, usually if i tip it or shake it (not like violent, more of like if I'm trembling my foot while its on my lap), and sometimes just when i rest my hand on the palm rest. What do you think is wrong? Took it to the apple store and the genius guy doesn't know anything, seems like they only know how to boot off their HDD and run the tests. He said nothing came back bad, and he didn't know, Said he couldn't work on it :confused:

Anyway after some research, I found out that sometimes the sleep magnet can be displaced or activated by other magnets or a drop. My MBP Does have case damage from what seems to have been a drop (I Bought it used).

Though this macbook pro doesn't use magnets to hold down the display but rather the clip, so maybe that is broken/loose/dislodged?

I Am going to be opening it up tomorrow, but thought I Would ask you guys, And where do I Look in the case for the sleep activator?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

So it only happens when you shake your laptop vigorously?