Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipstevens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Cornwall, UK
Up until a while ago, I could access pages from a certain website on my MacBook and iPad. For some reason, certain pages are now not accessible on either computer, and show a blank page. My son and his wife both have MacBooks, and they can view the pages I cannot.

The website is http://www.princess.com/, and the pages are under Find a Cruise. The pages not accessible to me are Search Cruise, Search Cruisetours, and Cruise Vacation Planner. The last page, Travel Agent Locator is accessible.

I do not know if there are other websites where I have this problem, as I have not really searched for one.

All pages were accessible, even on my iPad 6.0. Software on the MacBook is 10.6.8 and uptodate. The browsers in use, but with the problem showing the pages, are Safari 5.1.7 (6534.57.2) and Firefox 15.0.1. Installing a new Chrome 22.0.1229.79, allows me to see the pages. I have put Firefox into the Trash Bin and downloaded and installed a new version to no avail.

I have just bought a MacBook Air, and in first using it, I could access the above pages, but after copying certain data and programs across from the MacBook, the pages failed to show. Showing a different User, with nothing from the MacBook, allows me to see the above pages.

I am certain there is a software corruption on the MacBook (and probably on the iPad from something on the MacBook), but what and where and how to repair???

All help and advice gratefully received.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just accessed the site on Safari 6.01 under OS X 10.8.2 and it worked fine. I was also able to use the search for a cruise section. I do not have Flash installed, so that is not your problem.

Do you have any adblockers or extensions installed that might be causing the problem?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I am certain there is a software corruption on the MacBook (and probably on the iPad from something on the MacBook), but what and where and how to repair???

All help and advice gratefully received.
Your MacBook browser cannot corrupt your iPad browser. That is just not possible. Your problems may have something to do with security filters on the that you go through to get to the Internet.

philipstevens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Cornwall, UK
I just accessed the site on Safari 6.01 under OS X 10.8.2 and it worked fine. I was also able to use the search for a cruise section. I do not have Flash installed, so that is not your problem.

Do you have any adblockers or extensions installed that might be causing the problem?

Yes, I do have Adblock and some other extensions on Firefox, but not on Safari.

I will disable Adblock and all the extensions and Restart, and then see what comes up.

----------

Your MacBook browser cannot corrupt your iPad browser. That is just not possible. Your problems may have something to do with security filters on the that you go through to get to the Internet.

Thanks for the info re. the browser.

It cannot be my router, as my son can get the page up, using the router in our house.

I am going to disable all extensions, and then restart to see if that is the problem.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
In Firefox try creating a new profile and see if that makes any difference. Even if you trashed Firefox before and downloaded a fresh copy, your profile folder most likely was not deleted. If there was a problem in your profile it would have been carried forward.

This link shows you how to create a new profile.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Have you added anything to your Hosts file. I know I added a long list of known sites to my hosts file and everything was fine, except, ironically Apple's site. I couldn't click any link. I removed the info from the hosts files and it worked fine. I didn't spend any time trying to remove the entry that was causing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.