Possible stereo bluetooth for the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evev12, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

Has anybody had any experiences with A2DP adapters for the iphone? I'm going absolutely nuts with my wired earbuds - they're constantly being ripped out of my ear when I move, drive me nuts in the gym, and I really just can't take them anymore. That's my biggest beef with the phone right now; the lack of real bluetooth. Just wondering how these things sound/work, how much battery they drain, etc.... Any other product suggestions would be great too.

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/07/17/iphone.a2dp.adapter/

If I don't wind up trading this phone in for the storm and this thing does actually work, I'll also need a pair of wireless earbuds. Any suggestions?

2. markgamber macrumors 6502

Agreed, agreed agreed! Whoever thought worthless bluetooth in the iPhone was a good idea should be hung with those ***king earbuds! I took my phone to the gym ONCE and after the 5 minutes it took to untangle them because I dare put them in my pocket, they almost immediately caught in the equipment and I almost wound up with a three piece iPhone.

Per the device, I was going the opposite route...a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the stereo plug at the top of the phone. I haven't gotten one yet but apparently Sony makes one which is a good start and it's probably more fail safe than something that plugs into the nebulous connector on the bottom of the phone. I forget what the price of the Sony adapter was...$40? Something like that. It's something else to look at while I'm looking at this.

Edit: I'm intrigued so I just bought an Infinxx AP23 via an Ebay seller. I'll check it out when it gets here and post the results. I didn't specify super shipping or anything so I expect it'll be a few days. It might suck down the phone battery a little faster, but that's probably better than finding and changing watch batteries in the little stereo adapter dongle I saw earlier.

Oh...per earbuds, you're on your own. I hate earbuds, they never fit my ears. Instead, I bought a nice Sony bluetooth headset several months ago. I had been using it with my Tilt and the audio is very good.

3. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks buddy. Please do post your experience with the adapter, I'm very interested to see how you like it. I really don't have anger management problems but having those damn earbuds ripped out of my ears every 5 minutes when the cord gets stuck on something really pushes me to the brink of throwing my iphone at against a wall - the only thing that stops me at the last second is the regret that I know will follow.

You know, it's funny. I used to hate earbuds too. I'm an audiophile and I love a good sound. Believe it or not I used to wear the HUGE Sony professional studio headphones everywhere I went -they looked horrible but they sounded amazing! After I found the V-Moda's and I realized how comfortable they could be and how good they could sound, I decided to cross over, and I couldn't be happier. Besides the damn cord, you can barely see them, they're comfortable and sound pretty good. I don't know how much you'd be willing to throw down for wireless earbuds but I found this company that makes custom ones for somehitng like $400. They take a mold of your ear and form them to fit perfectly and the sound is supposed to be out of this world. Not that it matters but Hollywood is supposedly snatching these things left and right. If the entertainment moguls are claiming them to be good, they must sound pretty damn good. I really can't drop that much right now but if you'd like the link I can post it for you.

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

Nah, I can't drop that much either. I think I spent $120 on the headset I did buy and even that made me grind my teeth a bit as I paid for them. But they (Sony DRBT22A) are nice and there are lots of controls so they work for me. :)

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

Sorry for the delay, this thing took FOREVER to ship from Hong Kong to my home and when it arrived, I was in New York for the week, ironically enough meeting some people from Hong Kong. I should have had it shipped to them, it would have gotten here faster. Anyway, I got home last night, plugged it into the phone and was immediately greeted by a message indicating that the device wasn't designed for iPhone, did I want to turn the phone off? Great. So I answered "yes", the radio went off and then I synced my headset to it and it worked. It worked quite well, in fact. This morning I did it again and this time I answered "no" and while the radio stayed on, the bluetooth module still worked. As I watched a video with the bluetooth headset on, I called myself from another phone and my phone rang but not through the bluetooth. I also could not hear the other end through the bluetooth. So while the phone works with the module in place, it only does what it would do with an iPod.

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

I had been looking at a Sony TMRBT10 which is a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack on the other end of the phone. The downside of that unit is it takes batteries and it has that long cable between the plug and the transmitter. The upside is that any audio that makes it to the headphones should also make it out via bluetooth which includes the phone ringing and call audio. I'll see how this goes for a few days and if the lack of call audio is a pain, maybe I'll get the Sony. But so far so good with the Brando model.

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Have you tried pairing the headset with the iPhone itself? Depending on the headset, I've heard it will work for calls as well.

8. markgamber macrumors 6502

yes, my headset will pair with the phone and it will pair with the dongle but you can't listen to music when paired with the phone and you can't use the phone when paired with the dongle. Neither does both and you can't just go back and forth with the flip of a switch or something. I did just order the Sony module as it appears it will do both. In addition, it comes with a LiIon battery, not one you need to replace, which is also a plus. That's shipping from the same state I'm in and hopefully won't take forever.

9. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Mark...funny timing, I was just wondering how that ever worked out for you. Sounds like it worked out OK, just not as good as we both might have wished. It's just a real pain in the @ss that Apple's holding back its bluetooth from us and that we don't even have 1 REAL viable option to go to. When you have a chance, can you fill me in on what model that sony dongle is and post some feedback when it arrives. It looks like you've been officially designated to make up for Apple's shortcommings and save us all from these dreaded wires. This really is, and has been for some time now, my biggest beef with the iphone. I actually just ran into this little thing on engadget and thought you (and thes rest of the posters here) might be interested - it looks pretty promising. It better be for the price! I'm actually thinking about grabbing one. I'll fill you in on any other findings and post some feedback if I do decide to snatch it. As always, good luck...and keep us updated.

Thanks again! Here's to being freed frim the wires.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2008/12/unwire-your-ipod-with-the-audioengine-aw2.html

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So having that big thing plugged into the iPhone (presumably draining the battery faster), and having big battery powered headphones on your head, is worth not having that one little cable?

11. markgamber macrumors 6502

The unit I just ordered is a refurb Sony TMRBT10 from Amazon. It cost about $20 less than the Infinxxx unit and ships from Pennsylvania instead of Hong Kong which means I should get it before Festivus. I'll be sure to post what I think of it when it gets here. :)

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

Oh yeah...I don't have an AW1 setup so between that and the expense of that dongle, I'll pass. :)

FWIW, I've been watching Superjail episodes, each about 12 minutes long, via Orb over wifi using the Infinxxx unit and in the 3rd episode I noticed a dent in the battery. That doesn't strike me as too terribly bad. At least no worse than the Tilt.

13. markgamber macrumors 6502

The Sony TMR-BT10 unit arrived and I definately like it more than the Infinxxx.

Pros:

All audio goes through it. Music, videos, games, phone rings, call audio, everything I tried went through it. Anything you'd hear in the earbuds you'll hear in your BT headset. And it sounded just as good as the Infinxxx.

Because the only thing touching the phone is the headphone jack, it doesn't take away from holding the phone while playing games and whatever else. The Infinxxx, by contrast, adds almost an inch to the bottom of the phone which gets in the way in a lot of situations such as action games.

The Sony unit has it's own rechargable battery so it's not tapping the already weak iPhone battery. It's supposed to last 11 hours after a few charge cycles.

The volume controls on the phone alter the volume of the audio through this unit. With the Infinxxx, you can only adjust the volume from the headset. Adjusting volume on the phone as no effect when using the Infinxxx.

The Sony unit seems to remember what it pairs with so once you pair with a headset, you don't need to do it again. The Infinxxx requires you to pair the headset each time you want to use it. Not that it's hard, but it's time consuming.

I'm less worried about physical damage with the Sony unit, also. The headphone jack is small and the cord is flexible so there's much less chance of something snapping off in my pocket. The Infinxxx feels solid enough but who knows what might happen if the phone was dropped and it landed on the Infinxxx, I was tackled on the driveway (broke an expensive HTC phone that way!) and so on.

The Sony unit works with anything that outputs audio through a standard headphone jack. This is specifically about the iPhone, of course, but it'll work with a lot of phones, radios, stereo units, TVs, computers, anything that accepts a standard headphone jack. This will be way nice at the gym where the TVs only work with headsets (no speakers) and headsets with cords are easily tangled in the equipment. The Infinxxx unit works with the iPhone and iPod, period.

The Sony unit, being from Sony, is cheaper and far more accessable than the Infinxxx which took weeks to get here. The Sony took 4 days and cost about $20 less.

Cons:

It's larger and heavier than the Infinxxx. I'm assuming this is because of the battery.

It comes with a charger base that's several times larger than the unit itself. It would have been nice if I could have plugged the AC adapter right into the BT unit itself. Instead, I had to make desk space for the base.

The cord is only a foot long and hard to get tangled but there's still a cord there. This is a mixed con, tho. There are upsides to the cord.

For me, the Sony unit is the winner. The Infinxxx unit certainly has it's advantages and, to that end, if someone wants to buy mine, let me know before next week (Dec 15) as I'll put it on ebay then. That's my opinion, your mileage may vary. :)

Note: Your headset MUST pair with the passcode "0000" or this unit won't work. I'd guess it's the same with the Infinxxx since there's no way to tell either unit to use a different passcode.

14. iowa josh macrumors newbie

Anybody tried the JayBirds?

Has anyone tried these Jaybird stereo bluetooth devise with the iphone adapter? It looks very sweet, but a little spendy (~$150)

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/

I am really looking to get rid of these dang wired earphones

15. jtbash macrumors newbie

Sony TMR-BT10

I've just received the Sony TMR-BT10 and can not pair with the Iphone. This was a refurbished bluetooth unit so I'm wondering if I should return it and purchase a new one. Any suggestions are welcome.

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

The idea is that you pair your headset with the Sony BT10 unit, then you plug the BT10 into the headphone jack of whatever produces the audio such as a TV, radio, computer or cellphone.