Possible that HDD is going?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nydennis, Aug 10, 2012.

1. nydennis macrumors regular

Bought my 2011 Mini in Nov 2011. Moved Stock 500gb HDD to secondary and installed SSD as main.

on the Stock HDD, the last few days at random times if I am watching a video (any video) with MplayerX or VLC the video will freeze every few seconds. Once it starts it doesn't stop. When I reboot or bring computer out of sleep mode it will work fine for 10-15 minutes before the problem starts happening again.

Had a similar problem when I was downloading a video to the same drive and playing a video. If I stopped the video from downloading the playing video would not freeze.

Any thoughts on if it could be the HDD having problems or potential problems? I ran verify, and Disk Warrior and found nothing wrong.

2. JAT macrumors 603

Check Activity Monitor. You probably have some background app running and stealing cycles.

3. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

+1

But as always backup just in case, with cheap 2Tb HDDs around it's much better to spend a few dollars on a backup than trying to recover lost files.

4. nydennis, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

nydennis thread starter macrumors regular

I'll check it out to see what is happening.

that could affect one HDD and not the other as the main HDD doesn't have this problem