Possible that HDD is going?

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bought my 2011 Mini in Nov 2011. Moved Stock 500gb HDD to secondary and installed SSD as main.

on the Stock HDD, the last few days at random times if I am watching a video (any video) with MplayerX or VLC the video will freeze every few seconds. Once it starts it doesn't stop. When I reboot or bring computer out of sleep mode it will work fine for 10-15 minutes before the problem starts happening again.

Had a similar problem when I was downloading a video to the same drive and playing a video. If I stopped the video from downloading the playing video would not freeze.

Any thoughts on if it could be the HDD having problems or potential problems? I ran verify, and Disk Warrior and found nothing wrong.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Check Activity Monitor. You probably have some background app running and stealing cycles.
+1

But as always backup just in case, with cheap 2Tb HDDs around it's much better to spend a few dollars on a backup than trying to recover lost files.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I'll check it out to see what is happening.

that could affect one HDD and not the other as the main HDD doesn't have this problem

Last edited: