Possible that Steve Jobs went on MacRumors?

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
This random thought just crossed my mind... so hear me out.

MacRumors is the largest Apple community forum. Seeing as he (sometimes) replies to customers, it seems likely that Steve would've created an account and gotten a feel of the Apple community this way.

Who knows? Maybe Tim Cook is here.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

MacRumors is the largest Apple community forum. Seeing as he (sometimes) replies to customers, it seems likely that Steve would've created an account and gotten a feel of the Apple community this way.

Honestly, really doubt it.

When you are in the position of being a CEO for a huge company like that, or its De Facto owner like Steve Jobs, dealing with mountains of crap to do every day.

I highly doubt they have time to come onto a place like Mac Rumors.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is possible, if he needed a laugh.
But it is very unlikely, as being a CEO might have prevented that due to his contract. He could have accidentally spilled the beans on something, like the original iPhone perhaps.

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
It is possible, if he needed a laugh.
But it is very unlikely, as being a CEO might have prevented that due to his contract. He could have accidentally spilled the beans on something, like the original iPhone perhaps.
Plot twist: MacRumors is owned by Apple. Bait n' Switch. :D

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Wait, what if Arn is really Tim Cook?:eek:
The thing is no one expects Arn, so Tim Cook is probably running around MacRumors somewhere.

EDIT: This is amazing. Just found his tweet:

Last edited:

ejb190

macrumors 65816
A number of years ago there was a single post made by a new member the day before a keynote. I don't remember if it confirmed or denied a rumor that was floating around at the time, but it was accurate and very "Jobs-like" in its brevity. Made a lot of us wonder.

Can't find the thread right now.

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
A number of years ago there was a single post made by a new member the day before a keynote. I don't remember if it confirmed or denied a rumor that was floating around at the time, but it was accurate and very "Jobs-like" in its brevity. Made a lot of us wonder.

Can't find the thread right now.
Would love it if someone could find that thread. :apple:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I doubt he ever came on here to talk to customers or whatever but yeah he might have browsed it a few times for a laugh.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've worked with the CEO of a few large industry specific companies and some went on these types of forums. usually as a guest to read or anonymous post. we're talking companies in the 50-250 million range though and not structured like apple so who knows.

my guess though is yes. guest though.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 68030
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
More likely he employed someone to see how the new releases were received.
I would not be surprised that a personal assistant of Jobs or someone in the public relations department at Apple set up a special account to do nothing but closely monitor user reactions to Apple product announcements, product releases and earnings calls. And it was done at a computer not located on the Apple campus to make sure no one knew if the poster had ties to Apple.

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011

quite a few years back (2006) during a keynote demo, Jobs made a spoof podcast with a rumor of a giant-screened ipod during a garageband release.

Just based off that - I'm guessing he probably checked out these sites now and then. Maybe not "actively participate" due to contracts, but surf around them anyway. CEOs are very curious creatures.

I miss aqua :(

Last edited:

Kiju

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
I'm sure there are some higher ups that work for apple that browse the forums from time to time. If there is a large community of people based around your product, you don't tend to leave them completely ignored.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It's very well possible that the Apple execs take a peek from time to time, but it's not a guarantee.

Actually a lot of companies will hire people to go around forums for research (or to post positive things about themselves/negative things about the competition), so there could even be someone at Apple who gets paid to come here/be a member.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It is confirmed from MacRumors web logs that employees from the Apple campus do visit the site. But whether the CEO and other executives visit is unknown.

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Very interesting. What must they read Mac Rumours for? Comedy during lunch break?:D
Feedback on products; feedback on technical support; feedback on strategic and tactical moves.

Who's to say that just before his famous meltdown on MobileMe that Steve didn't visit MacRumors for a few minutes to see how users liked (or didn't) the product?