Possible to add "AND/OR" to Finder Smart Folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, May 15, 2008.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm back with another Smart Folder question, and I hope folks can help.

I've got my Downloads folder set to sift through almost every file I download, but I can't ZIP or RAR Archives to stay in the Archive folder. The reason is that I don't know how to apply an option to the Downloads folder to add ZIP archives OR RAR archives to the Archives Smart Folder.

That option exists in Mail and iTunes, and it's ridiculous if it's missing from the Finder.

Any help here?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could try making an 'Archives' smart folder and placing it in the sidebar by typing ".zip OR .rar"… plus whatever extensions you want into Finder's search bar, pressing the "Filename" and then pressing "Save". but the problem with smart folders is you cant add them to the dock as Stacks because they are just an alias to a Finder window with your custom search parameters.

or you could try typing "NOT .zip NOT .rar" into the search bar while in the Downloads folder with both the "Downloads" and the "Folder" clicked and save it. this would be your Downloads folder without the archives. but the problem with this is the whole Downloads hierarchy is shown not just the files and folders in the Downloads folder and same as above cant be used as a stack which is what you want with the Downloads folder.

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey, thanks for the info. I think that worked. I've just got to get Speed Download to put EVERYTHING in my "Received Files" folder and I'll be set. Thanks again for the info.

Apple could go a long way to making Smart Folders easier with a few tweaks.