Possible To Add Another iTunes Library?

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I know you can but I want this library to be empty. The reason being my daugther did really well on her report card and for her reward she wants a mini ipod. But some of the songs are explicit and I would for her to have her own library.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
If you have one Mac then if you setup her a new User account she can build an iTunes Library there

Or another way is to setup a Playlist and have only those songs load onto her iPod

Comment

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, but you would have to give her her own user. By default the iTunes Music Library is put into /users/"Your user name"/music/iTunes. So if she has her own account her itunes library will be empty to start out with. If you dont want her to have her own account then you could simply creat a new library in your user account, but you'd have to switch the library in the prefrences to get back to your music.

Comment

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
This is actually on a PeeCee and the Library is on another drive not the default iTunes folder. But I like Norouzi idea, but I tried add another folder and that didn't work.

Comment

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Ok, I'm on a PC here at work and I just tried doing what I sugested, and it dosen't seem that it'll work. I can choose another folder for the library and it changes, but the library dosen't update automaticly. I've even tried trashing the 2 iTunes Library files in the iTunes folder and no go. So that's kind of a pain.
Well even is your on a PC, if you creat an account for your daughter it should still create a new Library for her in iTunes since on the PC the music files are stored in /documents and settings/"Your User"/My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. So if you create her a new account it should work the same as on the Mac and give her her own Library.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.