Possible to add family plan and keep unlimited data on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

My wife's 2 year contract will end with Sprint when the iPhone 6 is released. I am currently on AT&T with an unlimited data plan and $10 unlimited text for life. I also get a 20% EPP discount. Is there any way to get her on AT&T to utilize my 20% discount by adding another line to my service as a family plan so she can have her own individual capped data plan but I keep my unlimited?

2. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Yes I believe you can.

3. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

That's exactly what we did with my wife's unlimited and discount, added me on a family plan with a cap, and she's still unlimited, but that was years ago. I don't know if AT&T will still do that.

4. Ghostbuster386 macrumors regular

Ghostbuster386

You will either have to add her on her own plan or move to mobile share. There are no family talk plans left unless you were already on one.

5. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

Yes you can move to a family talk account if you would like.

6. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Jeez. I stopped by and they no longer have the traditional plans such as 450 minutes for $40, data plan for $30, etc.

Now it is all these confusing plans where if you bring your own phone, it is cheaper than signing a 2 year contract. I don't understand how the plans are more expensive if you sign a 2 year contract? I thought the whole point was to lock you in.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The two year contract was more about paying for the phone than locking you in to the service. Over those two years, you're repaying AT&T (or whomever) for the phone they subsidized the cost of for you. If you brought your own phone, you shouldn't have to pay them for that, and thus, it should (have always) be(en) cheaper.

8. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

If you are an existing att customer you CAN create a family talk account.. Source: I am an ATT rep and I did one last week.