Possible to Auto-Mount disk on Airport Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Nov 9, 2010.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I have my iTunes library hanging off an AEBS and if I start iTunes before mounting the disk on the AEBS, iTunes doesn't know where the library is and often reverts back to a default library location of user/music/itunes/itunesmusic.

Is there any way to get this drive to mount automatically? Either through OS X or iTunes?

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

This is very do-able; you just need to add your networked volume to your login items. Here's how:

1) connect to your networked volume in the usual way via Finder
    2) show all hidden files in the Finder, by entering this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

3) in Finder, select "Go -> Go To Folder". Type /Volumes. You should see your networked volume
    4) open System Preferences -> Accounts -> your account -> login items
    5) drag your networked volume from Finder to your login items

Now, every time you log into your user account, your networked volume will mount automatically and you won't get any iTunes errors (assuming that you open iTunes after your login items have run).

To "rehide" all of the hidden files in Finder, enter this into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Hope this helps!

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I think that worked great, except that I deleted iTunesHelper from Login Items to reinstall it after, but now I can't find it in Applications.

Also, does changing YES to NO at the end of that string then reset the hidden aspect?

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I'm not sure what to do about the loss of "iTunes Helper", but I noticed that I actually don't have that in my login items, just regular "iTunes". And yes, just change the NO to YES in the terminal command... as indicated in my original post :rolleyes:

Glad it worked for ya.

5. acarney macrumors 6502

Anyway to do this with a Time Capsule disk so it will work when away from the local network? I've got it all setup to port forward and I don't have problems connecting to it from Starbuck or something if I use "Connect to server" but I want it to auto mount. Also, anyway to do it by just closing and opening the lid? Can I have it set to log me out if I close the lid or auto mount when it wakes from sleep?